Pineapple aroma hops (what variety is it?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogphish

Reaction score
What variety of hops causes this aroma?

I have had two Avery beers that have the most wonderful pineapple aroma!

I first noticed it in a keg of Maharaja (could not detect pineapple in the bottled version). Now, a bar in my town has a keg of "duganA", and the pineapple aroma just hits you in the face!

Apparently, the DuganA uses Chinook, Centennial, and Columbus. You can check it out here.
Fwiw, it garnered an A- on Beer Advocate.

[edit] And the Maharaja uses Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial and Chinook. It also scored an A-...

Cheers!

Apparently, the DuganA uses Chinook, Centennial, and Columbus. You can check it out here.
Fwiw, it garnered an A- on Beer Advocate.

[edit] And the Maharaja uses Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial and Chinook. It also scored an A-...

Cheers!

thanks for the info!

Avery must have the magic touch at blending the hops, or they have a better supplier than me because i've gone through a pound each of Centennial and Simcoe whole leaf hops in the last year, and neither had that smell.

From what i can remember of the pellets i've used, Columbus and Chinook both had a piney and moderately citrusy aroma.

I know you're asking for a hop but Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity can put off a nice pineappley taste.

I've had a pinnaple aroma from Chinook and Amarillo hops that I used in a American red I made.

I've had a pinnaple aroma from Chinook and Amarillo hops that I used in a American red I made.

thanks for the input! from what i can remember, Amarillo and Centennial have a fairly similar aroma. Maybe it's the Chinook + Centennial combination that causes the pineapple aroma.

anyone else ever had a pineapple aroma? what hops were you using?

CITRA [LEAF]
10-11% All Purpose
Very fruity Citrus, peach, apricot, passion fruit, grapefruit, lime, melon, gooseberry, lychee fruit, pineapple, mango, papaya and other tropical fruit flavors and aromas. A very new high alpha Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, Tettnanger, EKG hybrid with distinctive citrus aroma.
Use For: Pale ales, IPA
Substitutes: Simcoe ,and other fruity citrusy "C" hops

Cheers
Jay

+1 on Citra. Accompany the Citra hops with American Ale II and you get a sweet pineapple/grapefruit taste/aroma.

Just made an all Chinook IPA (Chinook hops at 60,20,10,0, dry) to see what Chinook is like. The flavor is indeed piney and grapefruity. However, the aroma is a massive fresh pineapple bomb. I couldn't figure out what the smell was, except that it was tropical, but the SWMBO picked it out as definitely pineapple.

So, Chinook dry hop = pineapple.

Back