Dry-hopped too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_S

Reaction score
I added 1.5 oz of centennial right at the start of an IPA primary fermentation. In hindsight I see (and smell!) that I should have waited until after active fermentation was done. I love heavy hop aromas and fear I've lost most from the initial fermentation. I am considering opening back up to add another 1 oz in the "primary" (same vessel after active fermentation is done)...wanted to avoid moving to a secondary. Any thoughts?

Mr_S said:
I added 1.5 oz of centennial right at the start of an IPA primary fermentation. In hindsight I see (and smell!) that I should have waited until after active fermentation was done. I love heavy hop aromas and fear I've lost most from the initial fermentation. I am considering opening back up to add another 1 oz in the "primary" (same vessel after active fermentation is done)...wanted to avoid moving to a secondary. Any thoughts?

Do not do anything more until the beer has reached FG, then take a reading AND taste. If you feel the need to dry hop more do so at that time.

Back