Virus protection for my computer search

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbrad

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you computer savy members could recommend a virus protection for my laptop? I have McAfee right now and I just went through a malware nightmare which it didn't stop. What a pain in the _ss.
It would be good if it was something that I could install without having to call an IT person. Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

Please avoid McAffe/Norton, these programs are essentially viruses themselves. I can highly recommend avast! Antivirus (Free Edition for Personal Use). It works great, does not hog computer resources and is free. Google it and you will find the internet community agrees it is hard to beat in that price range.

I'm cleaning a nasty rootkit off a Windows 7 computer that has Avast protecting it. I too like MalwareBytes but not so much Microsoft Security Essentials. I recommend Trend Micro to all my customers. I'm also an IT guy.

My laptop crashed last January two days before a class was going to start. Got Ubuntu and Open office and never looked back. I hate Windows.
I'm not a IT Guy but I play one on TV.

Please avoid McAffe/Norton, these programs are essentially viruses themselves. I can highly recommend avast! Antivirus (Free Edition for Personal Use). It works great, does not hog computer resources and is free. Google it and you will find the internet community agrees it is hard to beat in that price range.

Check out the newer Norton engine, it is a lot lighter than it used to be.

Don't believe me, check it out yourself, there was even a gamer edition launched.

The focus of the last build was very much on the saving of resources as this was the major consumer criticism of the product.

Check out the newer Norton engine, it is a lot lighter than it used to be.

Don't believe me, check it out yourself, there was even a gamer edition launched.

The focus of the last build was very much on the saving of resources as this was the major consumer criticism of the product.

Does it cost money?

Anything but Norton's or McAfee.

I tend to use AVG for it's cost (nothing) and Malwarebytes for the spyware scanning.

I've seen good things from Avast and Kapersky, but don't a smuch experience with them. Probably because I usually see McAfee and Nortons on the computers I have to clean up...

AVG or Avast!

I use Avast! for all my home computers. They are both free. Now you want to know about other awesome free stuff? ok try:
- Malwarebytes anti-malware aka MBAM (can be destructive, very powerful tool)
- Spybot Seek & Destroy - covers all your spyware issues
- Adaware SE - Covers all your adware issues
- Ccleaner - Cleans everything else
Running all the above regularly will net the maximum results. But you want more free stuff...OK...
- Open Office - free office software (not M$ but compatible with it)
- Paint.net - M$ Paint and Photoshops child
- VLC - Media player that plays just about everything
- Power Defragmenter and Contig - Best defrag tool ever!
- Firefox - best web browser ever.

that should keep you busy... Enjoy!

Thanks for all the advice. I uninstalled McAffee and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials.

I was wondering if any of you computer savy members could recommend a virus protection for my laptop? I have McAfee right now and I just went through a malware nightmare which it didn't stop. What a pain in the _ss.
It would be good if it was something that I could install without having to call an IT person. Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

You can install OS 10.6 and you won't have these problems anymore...

Brad

Is this for a personal or a work computer? Saying "not having to call IT" makes it seem like it is a work one. If it is then I would say don't install anything. Many times it isn't even possible for you to and even if it is many companies prohibit it.

Now if it is your own then I will give another vote for avg or avast. I have them both running on different systems and never had a problem with either.

Because the majority of viruses are created for PCs. I've been running OS 10.whatever for over 5 years now and have never had a problem. There's no need to watch what sites I go to.

You have been fortunate. Macs do get viruses. They also now have anti-viruses for them and it is only going to get worse. I am an IT guy, have been for 6 years professionally. If you do not have an anti-virus I HIGHLY recommend getting one ASAP.

You do not even have to listen to me...
Apple said:
Apple suggests running some kind of antivirus software on your Mac and included one with a .Mac subscription.
link: Antivirus Software On Your Mac: Yes or No? — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

BTW That was a baited question to which you did very well on. :mug:

You have been fortunate. Macs do get viruses. They also now have anti-viruses for them and it is only going to get worse. I am an IT guy, have been for 6 years professionally. If you do not have an anti-virus I HIGHLY recommend getting one ASAP.

You do not even have to listen to me... link: Antivirus Software On Your Mac: Yes or No? — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

BTW That was a baited question to which you did very well on. :mug:

I pretty much figured, but answered the way I would have normally. In all honesty I was trying to stir up a little conversation as I figured my response would get some of the PC users a bit perturbed.

I pretty much figured, but answered the way I would have normally. In all honesty I was trying to stir up a little conversation as I figured my response would get some of the PC users a bit perturbed.

No that was fine. I take no issue with "mac-ers" that do not try to fill me up with BS propaganda which very, VERY few of them are that way. Enjoy your stuff.

I use a Mac at work and a PC at home. I run the same design programs and my PC runs much smoother. I built my PC for around $1200 and it's much faster than the Mac Pro that cost over $2000.

BargainMugs said:
I use a Mac at work and a PC at home. I run the same design programs and my PC runs much smoother. I built my PC for around $1200 and it's much faster than the Mac Pro that cost over $2000.

You say you're running the same programs? Were they wrote for both or are you using a work around?

Back