bad smell after first fermentation done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvend

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first lagering, I racked today a pilsner with german lager white lab yeast to a second fermentator. This was fermentating for 7 days at 50 degrees Farenheit and it was at less of a bubble per minute so I racked to a second fermentator. But the smell was unpleasant compared to others I made at room temperature temperature. It was disgusting for me although not for my friends that thought it was alright. Can anyone tell me if its normal? What is that smell? Pleeeease answer me and thanks in advance.

Good chance you are smelling sulfur which is produced by lager yeast. It is completely normal and should go away when you lager it. If it smells like rotten eggs, that's the smell you are smelling and it is normal.

Hi, this is my first lagering, I racked today a pilsner with german lager white lab yeast to a second fermentator. This was fermentating for 7 days at 50 degrees Farenheit and it was at less of a bubble per minute so I racked to a second fermentator. But the smell was unpleasant compared to others I made at room temperature temperature. It was disgusting for me although not for my friends that thought it was alright. Can anyone tell me if its normal? What is that smell? Pleeeease answer me and thanks in advance.

What do you think the point of the lager phase is? It's to clear up anything the yeast created during fermentation. Lager yeast creates all sorts of compounds during fermentation, most of them stink. Lagering is to conditioning them out.

We wouldn't need a lagerring phase if they smelled or tasted fine right away, would we?;)

:mug:

Thanks guys, but maybe I did something wrong, I mashed, waited like 3 or 4 days at room temperature until krausen and a lot of CO2 appeared and then place it to 10 celsius (50 farenheit). 3 days after I racked to second fermentator (thats were it smelled bad) and placed it again near the same temperature. I did something wrong?

Revvy said:
Just relax. See the beer through until it's completion.

Someone said maybe the yeast stressed out because the first 3-4 days was fermentating at room temperature, that it cause off flavors and odors, its true?

Aren't you supposed to keep lager fermentation temps low throughout the entire process? I've never done one but I think I remember reading somewhere that you do keep them low the entire time which slows fermentation down/extends fermentation time.

Also, I just brewed a witbier with Amarillo hops and those things stunk, still stinks in the bottle but it tastes great. I like most hop aroma but these are really skunky, and no I never exposed the fermenter to light for an extended period of time.

Back