Banana smell from fermenter…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark3885

Heads Up Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Blonde ale yesterday, put in 2 packets of SO-5 for a 10 gallon batch, temperature was 76F. This morning , I’m not hearing any bubbling. Opened up my chest freezer/ fermentation chamber and I smell bananas. First time in 5 years brewing all grain that I have a bad batch. Never dealt with this before, what to do? What caused my problem? Infection? Help me out , please. Thanks for the help in advance.

Too bad it wasn’t a Hefeweizen you’d have people lining up to ask what you did to get the banana. Asking why you have banana is like asking is a secondary better. Much debate and little facts as to why some get it and some don’t.

I pitched the yeast on Monday about 3pm , it’s now about 40 hrs later and no yeast activity. I’m suspecting the yeast . I bought 10 packs online during the summer. Maybe they got too warm in transit? The expiration date on the package was 11-23 , so it’s not old. I always keep my yeast in the keezer so it stays cold. I just repitched 2 more packet’s from the same online company, we’ll see if it starts to work.

The Belgian Golden ale that I just started drinking gave off three or four different weird aromas while it was fermenting, but when all was said and done it turned out great. Well my wife thinks it's great anyway, and I did brew it for her so mission accomplished I guess.

Not sure where the aroma is coming from unless something is acting on your wort.

Just checked, 12 hrs after the second pitch , still no yeast activity. I have a Delta Brewing 14 gallon fermenter, it doesn’t leak . I have my Inkbird controller temp probe in the thermowell and over the last 8 hrs , the temperature inside has been slowly rising , so there is something going on . Going to let it ride and see what it’s like in the morning.

I’m getting a bubble about once a minute. I would have to think the yeast is the problem. I don’t want to open up my fermenter for fear of introducing an infection. I ll leave it go for a week and see what happens. It’s out of my hands for now.

I kegged the blonde a few days ago, final gravity was 1.010, forced carbonation for 2 days. Adjusted the co2 down and have drawn off 3 half full pints . I’m impressed with the flavor it has , I can’t really explain how it fermented over 10 days. But it tastes great, my wife, who is not a beer drinker, said it was very good. Still racking my brain to record what had happened, but I’m over joyed that it came out so good.

Back