Aquarium heater in a conical???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geniz

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there uses an immersible aquarium heater in their conical or plastic barrel fermenter to keep their wort warm in the winter? Its getting cold in the garage and Im wanting to heat a 15 gallon fermenter to ferm temps. The heater is glass, so I'm sure I can sanitize it. A new one has never seen fish poop, so i'm wondering why not. Am I missing something?

Coolio. Thx for the info. What size you using. I was thinking of a 200W for a 15 gal fermenter

Looks like 200w might be a bit of an overkill. Prob could get away with 150W in 15gal. Thx again

I've never seen one of the submersible aquarium water heaters in person. Is it possible to fit one inside a carboy?

I'm wondering if the heater would fit into the carboy neck, and then I'm not sure how I would seal of the carboy.

I've never seen one of the submersible aquarium water heaters in person. Is it possible to fit one inside a carboy?

I'm wondering if the heater would fit into the carboy neck, and then I'm not sure how I would seal of the carboy.

If not, you could do a reverse swamp cooler...have your carboy in a bin of water and put the heater in that water.

The nice thing is a lot of the heaters have auto built in thermostats for fish to keep the water temp at a certain temperature so you can figure out what that temp needs to be to get the beer inside your carboy to a certain temp and just set that and not even really need a temp controller.

Back