Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you give him instructions in foreign language (I've heard it works better sometimes)?
i didn't realize this was a thing... all of my dog's commands (not a police dog, just a civilan pupster) are in Ukrainian. our thinking was that she won't get confused or excited every time someone says "sit", or "wait"... she knows exactly when a command is meant for her.

i didn't realize this was a thing... all of my dog's commands (not a police dog, just a civilan pupster) are in Ukrainian. our thinking was that she won't get confused or excited every time someone says "sit", or "wait"... she knows exactly when a command is meant for her.

It serves multiple purposes but the "primary" for service dogs (or guard/watch dogs) is similar to yours. It avoids confusion but also only allows those who know the commands to give the dog proper commands it will follow. I have never met a Shutzhund trained dog that WOULD take a command, even in German, from someone other than their handler if their handler is present but I am guessing such things can happen depending on training regiment and intended role.

A foreign command language also serves to keep others (mainly perps) from knowing exactly what commands are being given.
Regards, GF.

My wife knows all the Dutch commands, but Arko is still only 50/50 at listening to her haha

This is exactly why I switched my pup Ozzy's commands to primarily in German. He's also just a civilian furball but it's cut down on a lot of confusion. Though he will still perform a lot of the "nice" commands (sit, shake, lay down) from people he knows in English.

Wife and I signed the papers on adopting a rescued puppy this weekend. Apparently they found mom and her 9 pups abandoned under an old dog house with no collar or microchip. The whole litter and the mom were up for adoption. Pups are a mix of Boxer, Pit Bull, Lab, and German Shepard. We'll be bringing him home next weekend. 8 weeks old when we get him.
Will be taking badass name suggestions :p

puppo.png

Wife and I signed the papers on adopting a rescued puppy this weekend. Apparently they found mom and her 9 pups abandoned under an old dog house with no collar or microchip. The whole litter and the mom were up for adoption. Pups are a mix of Boxer, Pit Bull, Lab, and German Shepard. We'll be bringing him home next weekend. 8 weeks old when we get him.

Reminds me of one of ours, also a rescue. We decided to go mythological and named him Atlas. He's a little over 100 lbs these days.

422570_689860269277_1513800287_n.jpg

221436_760775539507_1560233464_o.jpg

Rescue pups are the best. We adopted one many years ago (she has since passed) when we became aware of the mother-dog's story as it made our local paper.

BTW - "Chance" is always a good name for a rescue dog, IMHO.

:)

Munster?

Autumn is approaching so we ordered hand-knitted wool sweaters for the dogs. My dogs aren't police dogs - when they find magic mushrooms (and we have a helluva lot of them here where I live), they eat them ;-)

12038540_10153832379422697_6635150011941513116_n.jpg

Congrats! That's a handsome little fella you got there! You can't go wrong with a cool hop name. We went with Saaz and Cascade (respectively) for the ma and daughter we adopted a few months ago. Cassie ended up sticking for Cascade though so that's what we call her. You can see the boxer mix in your pup for sure. We did a DNA report on these two and they are Boxers more than anything. Cassie has some similar features to yours. Mama is a Boxer, Aussie Shepherd, Border Collie mix. The only other thing they found in Cassie was Greyhound which really surprised us. The DNA tests were really cool. BTW, I will say that having the mom and daughter is awesome. Mama has really helped with training her and giving her attention. Puppy wanted to play non-stop the first few months and mama hooked it up! If you got room for one more and your pups mom is still available...:)
I posted pics a few pages back but they have grown up a bit since then so what the heck....

edit: If you don't want to go with the beer name; with those awesome big beady brown eyes, your pup has me thinking of teddy bear and the word Plush comes to mind. According to Merriam, one meaning of Plush is "thick and soft" which seems fitting considering your boy looks like he will be muscular with soft fur. It's also a great STP song that coincidentally references dogs - It was meant to be!

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

I gotta suggest one more cause he is such a cool, unique looking dog. It looks like he got some vertical eyebrows. Misplaced Eyebrows comes to mind. Being military, my mind thinks in acronyms; ME. That would be a pretty cool, unique dog name. "Come here ME!"

If you refer to yourself in the third person, this might be a problem

We got one of those for him as well. People LOVE to donate vests for the dogs. However, they are rarely used around here for a couple reasons. One, police K9s are not lethal weapons. You wouldn't send an officer to a gunfight with just a baton...not wise to send a dog on a suicide mission either. The other big reason is that the vests are heavy and hot (Texas). This slows the dog down and forces them out of a deployment sooner than later. The endurance and speed is part of what makes these dogs useful. Adding 10% of dead weight to an animal that is most often forced into retirement by joint issues is another strike against ballistic vests for K9 on any regular basis. The vests have their place, but it is a very small part of what we do.

I have mixed feeling about LE using dogs since the dog has no say...

I have mixed feeling about LE using dogs since the dog has no say...

Be honest, they have no say if they are forced into your home and habits/lifestyle as well. Who is to say YOUR dog would not be happier elsewhere. I know my Pyr/Collie mix would be happier at a petting zoo as both the flock protector and main attraction.

Be honest, they have no say if they are forced into your home and habits/lifestyle as well. Who is to say YOUR dog would not be happier elsewhere. I know my Pyr/Collie mix would be happier at a petting zoo as both the flock protector and main attraction.

yeah, but my home is a controlled environment free from dangers that police dogs are exposed to. It really has nothing to do with rather or not my dog may be happier elsewhere.

Sorry about your Beagle. Had one myself that has passed also. Just down to a Bassett now.
Cute weenier though............wait.........that's.....not....right. :D

Latest posts

Back