washing yeast from primary w/fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antony

Reaction score
first off, I've read bernie's yeast washing post & plan to give it a shot this weekend. my question is whether or not it'd be a good idea to harvest the yeast from a primary that has trub (i didn't strain it out after the boil) as well as grapefruit segments & zest. i brewed a grapefruit wheat with wyeast weihenstephan weizen 3068 and was unsure as to whether or not all the excess stuff in the bucket would affect the yeast for future uses.

opinions are greatly appreciated.

I would just give it a shot! If you see fruit in the final product then I would personally not store yeast with fruit in it.

This does not sound like a good batch for your first try. How long where you planning on keeping it for?

i hadn't really considered how long, as its really my first shot at it. maybe a month or so.

i was wondering if anyone had tried it---i've been thinking that it didn't sound like a good idea either. i would think that there would be too many small particles of grapefruit that i couldn't filter out & that they may contaminate the sample later.

This is just me so there are a billion different ways to do this. When I know I am going to wash the yeast I make sure I have the cleanest wort possible go into my fermenter. Does it matter? I don't know but it matters to me allot easier to get the yeast not so much trub to deal with.

Back