Fermentor water addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am wondering what kind of water I should use to fill my fermentor to the 5 gallon mark, all everyone talks about is being sanitary and trying to not introduce bad things into my fermentor but they say to pour how ever many gallons of fresh water to fill the fermentor, fresh water has not been boiled to take the bacteria away, how can I just pour fresh water into my fermentor, maybe I am overthinking this, can someone tell me what the correct way to look at this is?
:mug:

You are probably overthinking the situation. I never had to top up my fermenter but this I can say: If your water it´s safe to drink top up your fermenter with it: you won´t get any infections . A different thing if there is chlorine in your water supply. If using bottled water no problem at all. If your tap water doesn´t have too much chlorine it´s fine too. Just RDWHAHB!

I've used chilled natural spring water as a top off with good results. Helps cool the wort down a touch more, helps oxidize a little more, and it doesn't have the chlorine taste of tap water.

Never sanitized it before it went in (might spray the opening/spout/top with star san, if I remember, as that can be dirty). Water is usually pretty clean especially if it is in retail or city.

Back