Late hop addition in dunkelweizen? Yay or nay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emoutal

Reaction score
I'm brewing a dunkelweizen right now (mashing right now). I've never even tried this style, so I'm not sure exactly what to expect, but i'm excited anyways.

The original recipe called for 1 oz of saaz, but since the saaz i got is 6.7% I am only going to use .7 oz for bittering (that gets me to the upper end of the style guidelines). So I am left with .3 oz. What should I do with it. Save it and perhaps use it in another recipe (I'm not sure if i'll be needing saaz anytme soon), or just throw it in with 5 mins left?

Anybody have experience brewing this style?

I say throw it in with 5 minutes left. The slight aroma hop addition isn't going to take you out of the style and should add a nice floral/spice hint.

I did a hoppy dunkelweizen ("ipankelweiss" in my sig). If you're brewing with a wheat yeast strain over 70 to bring out esters, the combination of strong hop aromas and banana/clove flavors is... interesting to say the least. Unlike anything I'd ever tried, but it was a huge hit at my wedding.

Thanks guys. I was leaning that way anyways, and this just confirmed it. It's not much, but I do love hops.

Latest posts

Back