Superior Results With DME over LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that the beers I have made with 100% DME are coming out better than the beers I have used 50-100% LME. Nothing scientific, just anecdotal. Is it me or is this something others are suspecting also?

People dehydrate things to store them because they don't spoil as easily without water. It totally makes sense that by the time you buy it, the DME is in better shape than the LME.

I can probably believe it, logically at least, based on what nateo said. I've only used LME so I can't really comment on the advantages of either.

DME has a much longer shelf life than LME. LME contains more water, and with this water a greater water activity value. The greater the water activity, the faster degradation processes can occur, due to the greater availability of reaction substrates. I offer no proof of those reactions are, but carbonyl amine browning, aka Maillard, reactions, seem the most likely culprit.

Many people think that Maillard reactions occur only when you boil the wort, but the fact is they proceed at room temp as well, and their cumulative effects over the course of several months sitting on a shelf can be a noticeable change in taste due to the formation/loss/change of various products in the LME.

cool where do you buy all dme kits? my current kit that i will brew next has both but i would love to do all dme because you don't have to turn off heat or worry about not getting it all in the brew because of it sticking in container

If you are doing kits, you'll just have to use whatever is in the kit. It's possible that liquid extracts were affected by the hot summer and that has influenced my results. Since I buy ingredients and do recipes, I'll just substitute DME for LME whenever that is called for, adjusting for the higher yield of DME, of course.

I think what LME you get has an affect too. If you've been using canned stuff, I'm not surprised. I only get good, fresh bulk LME and it's been great for me. If you can't get LME fresh and in bulk, I'd go with all DME as well.

Back