Strange Taste Developing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoman

Reaction score
I've got a weird, bubblegum-like taste developing in the Christmas ale I brewed about two months ago. It tasted great (nice and spicy!) after three weeks of carbonation, and I cracked on open tonight to see how it was comin along and discovered this funky development.

I ferment in my basement where temps stay between 60 and 62 degrees. I've heard that high fermentation temps can cause the bubblegum taste, but I didn't think it was slow to develop (nor did I think my temps would cause it).

Could this just be a one bottle deal? What could cause this? If not, will the taste diminish with time? I'm a little bummed cause I thought some of it would make great holiday gifts for my brew lovin friends.

Thanks!

It's a CloneBrew of Anchor's 'Our Special Ale -1995'. I love this brew every Christmas, so I figured I'd give making it a try.

9 oz. Crystal 40L
5 oz. British Chocolate Malt
4.5 lb Extra Light DME
4 lb Alexanders Pale Malt Extract (liquid)
2 oz Malto Dextrin

1.25 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)

1/4 oz Northern Brewer (45 min)
1/2 inch Vanilla Bean (45 min)
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg (45 min)
1/4 tsp. Anise (45 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (45 min)

1/2 inch Vanilla Bean (15 min)
1/4 tsp Anise (15 min)

Pitched Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

Bottled with Light DME

Thanks again.

PS - If you're looking for a good recipe book, the owners of my LHBS (www.maltose.com) wrote Beer Captured, which has about 100 homemade recipes for commercial beers, as well as a "Cooking with Beer" section. Fun book.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say it's probably the spices you added. They might neeed more time to balance out and blend into the flavor of the beer.

Latest posts

Back