Made (big?) mistake with my Mash thickness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sddanc

Reaction score
I am doing the left hand milk stout recipe found here on the boards.

11lbs of grain and I mistakenly mashed with about 6gl of water. Frack.

Im crunching numbers now and am about 20 mins into the 75 min mash. Now catching my mistake, can I save it?

Mash tun with copper manifold

Mashing at 154F

Consider it a no-sparge brew. Maybe even add a little more water to get 8 gallons, assuming the grain will soak up 1.5 gallons, you should be left with 6.5 gallons pre-boil.

drew out about a gallon out the mash and used it to sparge + hot water.

at the end of the day, ended up with exactly 5 gallons and a OG of 1.0547

If you had it in a bag I'd call it a BIAB batch that was a little low on water. You might sparge with a little less water than you planned and boil it down a little longer but it certainly is a good start on making beer.

If you had it in a bag I'd call it a BIAB batch that was a little low on water. You might sparge with a little less water than you planned and boil it down a little longer but it certainly is a good start on making beer.

There is not too much difference in what you did with No Sparge or BIAB. I am sure that it will be fine.

Mark:mug:

Latest posts

Back