Homemade hot sauce recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly I ordered a mix. The guy that sent them said the mix will contain: Jonahs, Chocolate Morugas, Brown Ghost, Chocolate Douglah, Yellow Seven Pot, etc, etc...

Buy I haven't even started to separate them or see exactly what there is.

That looks like the same mix yooper showed. Same place? I know the ghost pepper store has all the 7 pots, chocolate this & that, etc as well.

It's almost a shame that these super-tasty peppers are too hot for most people to handle. Even your basic habanero has great flavour hiding underneath the dragon.

Almost... I guess if I didn't like heat so much, I'd never know, though, would I?

:D

Hm...another hot pepper beer name? A fireman would get this one, " Breath of the Dragon". Yeah, there's a lot of heat, but that bright, fruity flavor with a splash of fresh citrus is good.

Little harvest from last night.

image_zpsobduqso7.jpeg

OK, so this one isn't being fermented, just mix and eat.

Watermelon
Prickly Pear fruit
Big handful of fresh mint leaves
shallots
garlic
small can of chipotle peppers in sauce (didn't have anything fresh
juice of one lime
salt to taste

sample tasted great!

IMG_3123.jpg

Last edited:
The wife & I just put up these three 8.5oz bottles of the Southern Peppa sauce. Each bottle contains 3 ghost chilies, 2 red fatalii, & 4 Trinidad scorpions. Filled up with barely-boiled cider vinegar. Oh yeah...hot stuff! They smelled like chili with vinegar in it. This should be good! The bottles formerly contained lemon olive oil. I liked the shape & the Coke bottle-colored glass. Man-made cork stoppers fit tight too. * Had to go back & add the 3 cut up cloves of garlic to each one that I forgot.

A quick batch of Habanero hot sauce.

Habaneros, yellow bell peppers, garlic and some vinegar, a little salt. Boil until soft and into the blender. Did the same last year but used red bell peppers.

Red poblanos in the foreground just because it looked cool.

image.jpg

I know that's right! But the interesting part is the red African fatalii's. The ghost pepper store was right about " pepper connoisseurs" loving them for their flavor. They smelled like chili when we were chunking them up to put in the bottles. Besides super hots typically having a fruity/fresh citrus sort of thing going. Makes me wish I'd had a pot of chilli going to put some in.

I've been reading through this thread and enjoying it. Now I have to learn more about the fermenting of the peppers for sauce.

Can anyone direct me to where I can learn more about it. It was mentioned several times in here, just water, salt and maybe sugar with the peppers to ferment. Just leave it open to air or what? Can it be that easy?

Thanks for any advice.

The wife & I just put up these three 8.5oz bottles of the Southern Peppa sauce. Each bottle contains 3 ghost chilies, 2 red fatalii, & 4 Trinidad scorpions. Filled up with barely-boiled cider vinegar. Oh yeah...hot stuff! They smelled like chili with vinegar in it. This should be good! The bottles formerly contained lemon olive oil. I liked the shape & the Coke bottle-colored glass. Man-made cork stoppers fit tight too. * Had to go back & add the 3 cut up cloves of garlic to each one that I forgot.

Those are purdy. It looks to be just chili infused vinegar? What do you put it on? Or do you actually pull the fruit out?

Yeah, it's a southern thing. You pour the infused vinegar on greens, black-eyed peas, etc. When the vinegar gets low, just heat up some more & top off & let sit. But this stuff, I'm sure should be used by the drops.

Yeah, it's a southern thing. You pour the infused vinegar on greens, black-eyed peas, etc. When the vinegar gets low, just heat up some more & top off & let sit. But this stuff, I'm sure should be used by the drops.

Cool. I've done this with oil and soy sauce.

PS. I would like to add mango or peach to my sauce if any of you can point me to a recipe on this thread. May not be able to buy either of those that are decent this late in the year though.

We enjoyed this hot peach salsa from a shop on the strip in Berlin, OH. Amish country. It had peaches & tomatoes in it, besides the other usual players. But in amounts that complimented the peaches. Great on tacos & burritos.

Dammit. I just put a splash of the super hot Peppa sauce on one of my sloppy joe sammiches. Guess I got some on my finger & wiped my right eye...the bell's palsy side. Dang, that burns! Just a small splash on my sammich, & it's a heat that builds in short order, but not that bad in small splashes.

mods, this is borderline spam, but it is for the American Cancer society
if against the rules, feel free to buy some then delete

Buddy of mine.

This Missouri boy had to come down to Louisiana and show them how to make Louisiana Hot Sauce! Took World Champion award for Novice Division, Louisiana Style Hot sauce with my Ghost of Bubba's Bayou Burn at the Louisiana Hot Sauce Expo. Also took Second in Novice Carribean Style sauce with my Jamaican Jammin Juice, and 3rd in Novice Fruit Based sauce with my Goblin Apple Goo. A Trifecta for Death Spiral Pepper Sauce Company!

attachment.php

[​IMG] Ramping up Hot Sauce Sales - Relay for Life in March!
American Cancer Society Relay for Life for our High Plains Division has been moved up to March this year, so we are now in our full-bore "Go For It" Fundraising campaigne. This is Golden! This is a Tri-Fecta for you: 1) Donation to American Cancer Society 2) Yummy Hot Sauce 3) Tax Deductible! This is the list:

DEATH SPIRAL PEPPER SAUCE COMPANYTHIS IS A NOT-FOR-PROFIT COMPANY DESIGNED AS A FUND RAISER FOR THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY. THE FOLLOWING IS A LISTING OF PRODUCTS:

1) Red Peppah Sass: Medium Hot sauce made with red ripe jalapenos and red bell peppers. Makes a good enchilada or burrito sauce.
2) Yucatan Red: Hot sauce, Classic Habanero sauce made with habaneros, tomatoes, garlic, and onions. Excellent Mexican style sauce.
3)Jamaica Jammin Juice: Hot sauce, habanero, mango, mustard, garlic & onion. Style found throughout the Caribbean Islands.
4) Le Sangre Del Pequeno Diablo: Hot sauce made with Ghost peppers, tomatoes, garlic, and onion. Similar to Yucatan Red, but not with the habanero flavor.
5) Ghost of Jerry Garcia: Hot sauce made with ghost peppers, strawberries, and onions. (I'm a Dead Head - what can I say?).
6) Drool of Cerberus: Extremely hot sauce. Ghost peppers, pineapple, peaches, onions & garlic. (lots of ghost peppers in this one!)
7) Ozark Habanero Peach Butter. Peaches, habaneros, onions. Made in 2 levels of heat, either Hot or Medium Hot. (specify heat level)
8) Habanero Special Reserve XXX: EXTREME HOT! This is basically habanero jam!
9) Goblin Apple Goo: HOT – Made with green habaneros, Granny Smith Apples, onions, garlic. Sweet and tart, with that habanero tang.
10) Magma Creep Geist: HOT – Made with Ghost peppers, mango, carrots, onion, garlic. Nice touch on chicken, Chinese food, fish – similar to a Caribbean type.
11) Geist Cherry Bomb – HOT – Made with Ghost peppers, tart red cherries, onions, garlic, molasses, balsamic vinegar, honey, Pinot Noir wine – sweet, tangy, smoky & hot!
12)Bubba's Bayou Burn - fermented Louisiana style habanero sauce. 5 ounce $5, 12 ounce $8
13)Bubba's Super Bayou Burn fermented Louisiana style Ghost pepper sauce. 5 ounce $5, 12 ounce $8
14) Ghost Pepper Salt: Fresh Ghost Pepper integrated into Natural Sea Salt. 50 ML vials.
15) Smoked Ghost Pepper Salt: Smoky Ghost Pepper integrated into Natural Sea Salt. 50 ML vials.
16) Habanero Pepper Salt: Fresh Habanero Pepper integrated into Natural Sea Salt. 50 ML vials.
17) Smoked Habanero Pepper Salt: Smoky Habanero Pepper integrated into Natural Sea Salt. 50 ML vials.
18) Garlic Ghost Pepper Salt: Garlic and Freash Ghost Peppers integrated into Natural Sea Salt. 50 ML vials.

19) Yellow Ghost Pepper Powder. Dehydrated Yellow Ghost Peppers, most seeds removed, ground down to powder. 35 ML vials.
20) Red Ghost Pepper Powder. Dehydrated Red Ghost Peppers, most seeds removed, ground down to powder. 35 ML vials.

All of the sauces are available in 1/2 pints for $5, and #2, 3, 4, 6, & 11 are also available in full pints for $8. Salt is $2 per vial. Powder is $6 per vial.

Shipping: For 3 jars or less, shipping is $10, for 4 to 6 jars shipping is the cost of a medium flat rate USPS box ($12.65) more than 6 jars we have to look at a large flat rate box.

My address:

Robert Skrivan
102 Jacob Lane
Ellisville, MO 63021

Proceeds from sales go to American Cancer Society. Our family is a Team in the local Relay For Life event for American Cancer Society. I do not have a Pay Pal account - they are very anti-firearm, and were unhappy with my other dealings as a buyer/seller/trader in militaria. I accept personal checks, money orders, or good old folding green stuff. The best way is to send a personal check made out to the American Cancer Society – that way, American Cancer Society will send you a receipt you can use as a tax deduction.

Early start on peppers this year. I'll probably have pods for folks who want them in the fall

When did you start w/seeds? I started mine in early January and my plants are nowhere near the size of yours.

Started germinating on Jan 5th. I use a heat pad and some dome for germinating. I think the tent is making a huge difference this year. There's way more light and it's much warmer. Ideal conditions for peppers. Plus I've added an automated watering/feeding system with a pump that fills and circulates the tray with water/nutes for ten minutes a day and then gravity drains it back down into the reservoir. I also added an overflow so I don't have to worry about the tray filling all the way up ad flooding over. Using this system, the plants get fed at the exact time every day, the temp is constant, there's a fan for food airflow. I think all these variables contribute to the early success of the plants. I recommend a similar system if it's something you think you'll continue to do over the years.

Hey guys! My chilis are just turning red now, and habs are starting to form on my plants. I at one of the chili's this wkend and HOT. Anyway, I'm pretty excited to harvest soon and make some sauce.

Must be nice to have a year around growing season. Congrats!

I'm itching to get an early start on chilies and tomatoes this year too, and it's supposed to be 80 degrees here today! But this is north Texas and I know we can have all the trees in bloom in Feb and get a massive snowy cold front in March, so I guess I will have to hold off a bit. I need to prep the plot I grow them in anyway! :D

I just recently got all my seeds started indoors. It's still snowing hard here with a good two feet on the ground still. I'm not growing any super hots this year, but I do have a couple interesting varieties. Anyone have any experience with Datil, Yatsufusa, or Hungarian Hot Wax peppers?

I have several Datil plants this year...they are awesome. Great fruity flavor with lots of heat! Don't expect much production, this is a pretty late start for a C. Chinese variety like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back