Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree. "Foodie" just gives me the creeps.

Re: "IMO," there are some who argue that phrases like that are "obvious" and should never be used (because what other opinion could you be expressing?), but I think it's ok occasionally. When you start by making factual statements, then switch to opinions, giving a clue to the reader is worthwhile. Also, if your opinion could be mistaken for a factual statement, it's ok.

But if you're doing it more than once in a while.... you suck (IMO).
See, you should have left the (IMO) off the last sentence. State it as fact, and people will believe you.

And should we start a thread for the emoticons that annoy us? Would it make you :) or :-( ?

;-)

I hate how everything has to be sugar coated.

Creamy --- Your Okra Mead had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heady, but with just a touch of mellow smoothness.

Translated -- this tastes like $hit, don't ever make it again

And should we start a thread for the emoticons that annoy us? Would it make you :) or :-( ?

;-)

The main thing that kills me is displays that swap emoticons for icons... I've been using ascii emoticons for 22 years now, I'll be damned if I need to be told what they're supposed to represent.

That aside, my main peeve with them is don't like the recent trend toward backward smilies :)

(that, and proportional width fonts)

Code:
___/|
\o.O
=(_)=
  U

I hate the word debunk. As in that myth was totally debunked. It makes people sound like idiots. Why not just say the myth has been disproven?

The misuse of the terms "less" and "fewer" kind of drives me nuts. Less refers to a decrease in or a relatively smaller contiguous mass, as in "less traffic" whilst fewer refers to a decrease in or a relatively smaller group of individual entities, as is "fewer cars". It irks me when those terms are not used properly.

Translation: "I'm a pretentious butthole and I'm about to tell you all about my superior ability to enjoy what I eat."

Haha, the funny thing is that half of the time these self-proclaimed "foodies" are eating at places like Chipotle, PF Chang, or Benihana, and then posting a picture of their meal on Twitter with an equally retarded hashtag. It's especially funny when they don't even know how to cook well themselves, and just eat out all the time.

Labeling yourself a "Foodie" is a slap in the face to good chefs if you're not actually what you say you are... But yeah, I don't like the sound of the word itself either.

Brewtah said:
When a server says "jewscream". I am thinking they are in a hurry? Just say "do you use cream"?
Uber
Flip
BFF
Anything "gate". Even beergate.

Never heard that before. It sounds like something the nazis were doing.

Haha, the funny thing is that half of the time these self-proclaimed "foodies" are eating at places like Chipotle, PF Chang, or Benihana,

That's the thing, it's a term specifically designed to imply self-important arrogant food *****ebaggery without any of the baggage of actually developing a discriminating sense of taste. As far as I can tell, it means that you randomly take traditional recipes, arbitrarily swap in obscure ingredients (buffalo or ostrich for beef, duck fat for oil or butter, if there's a French or Italian version of anything, use that instead), and perhaps (if you're feeling saucy) toss something extravagant on top (usually, foie gras or truffles). Then you update twitter and post a poorly-taken photo and declare that everyone else is "doing it wrong," whether or not it is edible.

There's a word for people who appreciate true excellence in food, but I guess "gourmet" isn't an obnoxious and unnecessary neologism.

Obviously this doesn't apply to speech so much, but I'm incredibly irked when "then" and "than" are used incorrectly. Doing so demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the difference between correlation and causation.

Did someone mention "cool story bro?"

I think if I have a kid I'd rather hear them drop the F bomb than "cool story bro".

I dont mind cool, or story, or even bro... put the three together and I want to want to lock the offender in a glass box full of fire ants.

CreamyGoodness said:
Did someone mention "cool story bro?"

I think if I have a kid I'd rather hear them drop the F bomb than "cool story bro".

I dont mind cool, or story, or even bro... put the three together and I want to want to lock the offender in a glass box full of fire ants.

;)

image-3890839573.jpg

Disrespected as a verb.

It has just really come into common use over the last 15 years or so, and I know that it is correct usage, but it still makes me cringe every time I hear someone say "don't disrespect me".

respect is a noun

edit: until recently respect was used as a noun much more that a verb

As in "show some respect". As it has been used more as a verb, disrespect has become more common.

But you can respect authority, you can respect the sanctity of another man's bedroom...

It is just getting lazy with language.

We used to show respect to authority more than we respected authority.

The same as using athleticism rather that athletic ablilty.

BTW, I didn't say disrespect was incorrect, but it is a word that I hate;)

Aha gotcha. Carlin was full of these.

One of his favorites is "an eye for an eye" which has taken to mean "get revenge". If you are looking for a cliche for "get revenge" "pound of flesh" would be better. "An eye for an eye" (when used appropriately) is mitigatory. Let the crime, the taking of an eye, result in a punishment as serious as the infraction, but no more so.

If a local teenager smashes your jack o'lantern on Halloween, and you call for "an eye for an eye", the judge should allow you to go to his house and smash HIS jack o'lantern. No more, no less.

I guess part of my dislike for disrespect is that it is usually uttered by someone thumping his chest at some perceived slight.

"Don't disrespect me. I'm a grown assed man"

I remember thinking that it was out of control when I saw it as part of the dialogue from a movie that was set in the seventies. (Roller Girl was stomping some guy in Boogie Nights and screaming "Don't disrespect me) I don't remember anybody ever using disrespect in that way back in the seventies...

Here's one from across the pond I dont like (interestingly enough, Im not that fond of "across the pond" either).... nutter. This apparently is supposed to imply that someone is insane. Doesnt really fit.

A word ending in "er" should give some sort of idea as to what a person does, not a state of being.

The guy at the Planters factory that runs the de-shelling machines should be a nutter...

Ron Jeremy, I think we would all agree... is a recidivist nutter.

No it is not.

So respect can be a noun or a verb. I don't think the validity of respect as a verb in a sentence like, "I respect him" has anything to do with a change in times. It works whether used in 1952 or 2013.

respect is a noun

until recently respect was used as a noun much more that a verb

I guess part of my dislike for disrespect is that it is usually uttered by someone thumping his chest at some perceived slight.

"Don't disrespect me. I'm a grown assed man"

Part of the problem is that it's a double negative. "Respect me. I'm a grown assed man" is how that sentence logically should be phrased, using the formal definition of disrespect.

When used like in your example, it's not just poor phrasing or verbing a noun, there's a shift in the meaning. "Don't disrespect me" is much more specific, it's more like saying, "Don't mock me." It doesn't really mean "Hold me in a feeling of deep admiration," which is the dictionary definition of "Respect me."

Also, http://xkcd.com/37/

Labeling yourself a "Foodie" is a slap in the face to good chefs if you're not actually what you say you are... But yeah, I don't like the sound of the word itself either.

That's the thing, it's a term specifically designed to imply self-important arrogant food *****ebaggery without any of the baggage of actually developing a discriminating sense of taste. As far as I can tell, it means that you randomly take traditional recipes, arbitrarily swap in obscure ingredients (buffalo or ostrich for beef, duck fat for oil or butter, if there's a French or Italian version of anything, use that instead), and perhaps (if you're feeling saucy) toss something extravagant on top (usually, foie gras or truffles). Then you update twitter and post a poorly-taken photo and declare that everyone else is "doing it wrong," whether or not it is edible.

There's a word for people who appreciate true excellence in food, but I guess "gourmet" isn't an obnoxious and unnecessary neologism.

I enjoy trying new foods and finding ways to improve recipes, and I think I've developed a better appreciation for good quality food in the process, but I'm not about to claim that I belong to some elite group of snobs with magical taste buds. I recently took my wife to a French restaurant for a ridiculously priced dinner and it was worth it for the great food and overall experience. BUT I'm also going to Burger King today for Whopper Wednesday. Some people wouldn't be caught dead going to BK, McDonald's, etc, not because of health concerns, but because they don't want to tarnish their reputation as someone who strives after culinary excellence. (we need a vomiting smiley added to the list)

What bugs me about "foodies" is that it seems to be more about an exclusive, condescending subculture than it is about good food. It's one thing to make a point of looking for higher quality or greater variety, but it takes an ignorant, arrogant prick to tell someone else that their way is somehow inferior.

I'm going to stop ranting now. I probably look like one of those "whiny bitches" :D

What bugs me about "foodies" is that it seems to be more about an exclusive, condescending subculture than it is about good food. It's one thing to make a point of looking for higher quality or greater variety, but it takes an ignorant, arrogant prick to tell someone else that their way is somehow inferior.

/\ This!

Not always... You could be very humble and simply passionate about food, therefore considering yourself a "Foodie". I think I just don't like the word itself more... like a wife referring to her husband as "Hubby"

...or worse yet, as you guys are describing above, i.e. someone who believes they are better than others for the foods they enjoy and try.

What gets me isnt so much the "foodies" as the out and proud "picky eaters". The type who will log onto epicurious to leave an aghast comment about someone who dared post a recipe for steak and kidney pie because it "grosses normal people out." The people who proudly tell the world how they only eat 3 things. The complete strangers on facebook who post "no thanks" when you post a picture of something you made on facebook. I have nothing to say to these people. At this point when people tell me proudly they are "picky eaters" I give them the same blank smile I give those who proudly say "I'm a racist!" and back out of the conversation.

Back