When to add brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stageseven

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a gruit with a saison as the base recipe. I was planning on adding a vial of White Lab's Brett L. strain, but was wondering what the best way to go about that is. Do I add the vial and ale yeast strain at the same time to start fermentation, or wait until after primary fermentation has subsided and then add the brett?

I'm looking to have a decent brett character to the beer with plenty of horse-blanket, but also want to make sure I don't completely overwhelm the other ingredients.

i think the standard practice is to wait until primary fermentation is coming to an end... even if you pitched both at the same time, which would probably work also, the brett will be outcompeted by the sacch and will likely start to work after the primary yeast strain is shutting down. as another option, you could pitch the brett first, let it get going and then pitch in some active sacch to let it add it's own flavor. or just pitch 100% brett, you might just be surprised.

We,, if your going to be doing a saison, than I would probably add the brett at the beginning, or even before the saison yeast. That stuff will ferment a lot of the sugars in your beer and won't be leaving much else for the brett.

I just brewed a funky saison. I mashed high (not what your supposed to do with saison) will let the saison yeast finish out first. Afterward, I'll pitch Brett, since it will chew on the dextrins that sacc won't.

If you're looking for horseblanket, I'd recommend Brett B., added once the primary fermentation subsides.

Latest posts

Back