Bottled First Batch Today - Thin Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfyoung

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of homebrew today. California Common kit from Austin Homebrew. I tasted a small sample and it seemed noticeably thin. I understand it should improve with time and carbonation, but I was surprised at the thin taste. Did I do something wrong or is this what it should taste like at this point?

Yes, a lot of beer, especially ligher beers can taste thin and lifeless before they are carbonated and properly conditioned.

+1 - carbonation does a lot as far as adding mouth feel to beer. Once that beer is well carbonated it will taste much more like beer and a lot less like water with a beer flavoring.

I thought I'd post an update to the thin taste question. After two weeks in the bottle the beer is very good. I expect it to improve from here, but the taste and mouth feel are very pleasing. Better than Steam from the store. Thanks for putting me at ease. I'll try to relax now. We have a batch of American Amber Ale that is ready to bottle and a batch of Sam Adams Spice Summer Ale clone that is ready to rack. The first batch turned out so well we are looking forward to tasting these.

Latest posts

Back