Bottle Conditioning of a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean6247

Reaction score
I am currently in secondary fermentation of my Sam Adams Clone lager. My question is when I bottle my lager in a couple of weeks, should I continue to keep the beer in my garage where the temps are lower or move the beer into the house where the temps are around 70 F?

I'd bring them inside, so they can carb up. After perfect carbonation is reached (maybe 3 weeks or so), then they can be stored wherever is most convenient for you.

You can bottle-carb lagers at room temp., particularly if you're using corn sugar. If, by chance, you're using a malt-based sugar, I'd carb them at primary fermentation temps (~50°F). I've done this several times with saved wort and they carbed up fine in 3 weeks.

(Why... when lager yeast ferment maltose warm, they can produce esters and other flavor-active compounds that you don't want in your lager. Dextrose/Glucose is easier for them to ferment, so there is a lower risk of producing esters when fermenting at warmer temps... or at least it's below taste threshold.)

EDIT:
Welcome to HBT!

Back