Advice on Upgrading my Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcastil

Reaction score
I've been using a 4 gallon stainless steel stockpot for brewing and am seriously considering an upgrade in my brewing equipment. Even with 2.0 to 2.5 gallon boils, I have had issues with boilovers and I'm really tired of it.

Ultimately, I would like the flexibility to be able to do full 10 gallon boils of high gravity wort - barleywines, imperial stouts, that sort of thing. Obviously, I'll be moving outside onto a propane burner of some sort.

I'm tentatively considering two pots - for the larger, high gravity brews, I'm thinking about a 20 gallon Blichmann Boilermaker. I've absolutely had it with boilovers and I want to be able to split 10 gallon batches with a buddy of mine.

For normal, 5 gallon batches, I'm looking at a Polarware 10 gallon boil kettle, since a Blichmann 10 gallon pot is really pricey.

Here are my thoughts:
  • Blichmann recommends a 2X expected volume - 10 gallons of barleywine leads to a 20 gallon boil kettle. I saw one of these yesterday and it was big. Am I insane?
  • The sight glass on the Blichmann worries me - is leaking or breaking it something I need to worry about or am I just being paranoid?
  • I don't plan to do full 5 gallon boils on my stove, but I'd like to preheat my strike water on my stove, so I'll use the 10 gallon pot for that

Anyway, that's more or less what I'm thinking - anyone have some advice on what I'm thinking? I'd like to do as much as I can to avoid buyer's remorse. Thanks.

I use kegs now, but used Morebeer's 8-gallon kettle when I was brewing smaller batches ... Fantastic pots, and a much better value than Blichmann IMO ...

As for the sizing issue, I'm not buying the double-up recommendation ... A careful eye and some skimming of the proteins should allow you to fit into a tidier kettle.

I caught an ebay deal on a 50 Qt BK and do 5 gallon batches. I dont think I will have to worry about a boil over that way. I scored the thick aluminum Tamale pot in the 50 Qt size for 35.00 bucks delivered. The seller has since upped the price to 59. But there are deals if you look diligently.
Bob

I think it depends on what type of brewing you will be doing (traditional all grain, BIAB, extract). i decided to step up to the Polar Ware 40 quart because i want to do be able to do 6 gallon BIAB batches and liked the quality and dimensions of the Polar Ware 361BP. I was considering a larger Kettle for double batches but realized that I am not set up to handle a double batch after the fact. I have a small fridge with Ranco temp controller that will only fit one carboy or bucket and I don't keg yet so I'm not trying to bottle 10-12 gallons.

If you are sure you will have multiple kettles they go ahead and buy the 10 gallon first and see how it feels. If you are going to do single vessel brewing or extract then maybe just get a 15-20 gallon kettle. Many people on here are reporting success doing smaller batches in the 20 gallon kettles. Check out Spike brewing kettles as I seriously considered his kettles, you could get both kettles for the price of the 20 gallon Blichmann. Also check out Katom restaurant supplies also, they have some of the best prices on Polar Ware stuff I could find.

I personally would get a keggle for 10 gallon batches. As for the boil overs, get some fermacap and never have another one. All it takes is a couple drops.

The Penrose is a solid option, I caught a coupon deal and was able to get the kettle, dip tube, and hose barb for sub-$200. Solid piece, I'll be getting 2 more for my MLT and HLT when I go electric.

I have a 62qt Bayou Classic and love it. They have 80qt versions as well for pretty cheap. Keggles and fermcap would work well also. I've heard the Penrose kettles are really good. Look up reviews here on HBT, I really haven't heard many negative reviews at all for the price.

Blingmans are nice. The tapered bottom allowing for a false bottom to sit, protected sight glass, etc are all solid. But, are they worth the price? That's something you have to decide. I personally couldn't swing the price based on the bling factor.

Latest posts

Back