Beer tastes different in different parts of bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizenlee

Reaction score
Hey all,
I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone or if I'm making it up but I think I'm getting beer that tastes slightly different depending on whether its from the top or bottom of the bottle.

I bottled my Wiezenbier in 22oz about 2 weeks ago (after 2 weeks in primary) and I poured a glass for myself first (top of the bottle) then for a friend (bottom of the bottle). My glass tasted a little green and not as good as I remembered last week. The carbonation didn't hold too well, I didn't get much foam lingering on the side of the glass.

I tried my friend's glass and it tasted much smoother. The glass had lots of foam on the side of the glass.

Has this happened to anyone before? Did we just witnessing/taste the effects of bottle conditioning? Its really weird but it does feel like a night and day difference.

Regardless, I'll be conditioning it for another week at least before cracking too many more open!

Back