To carbonate before or after LAGER period?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewew

Reaction score
I tried searching a little, but couldn't find a proper answer to this...

My situation is this:

Lager has been in the primary for 3 weeks, and I would consider the fermentation done with an FG 1010. Used S-23.

Now, shoud/could I

1. Bottle and let carbonate for 3 weeks. Then, lager for 2-3 mohnts?

2. Rack to secoundary and lager for 2-3 mohnts, bottle + carbonate for 3 weeks?

What to choose? :)

I'm new to it all but have done quite a bit of research. If you don't know about TheBrewingNetwork.com already, go there and listen to the podcasts. Alot of good information. The show on Lagering is very good

I think they say to ferment 2 weeks then rack to secondary (purge it with CO2 and fill from the bottom up) slowly chill it to 35F and leave it for 4-8 weeks. Don't carbonate until after that.

Thanks for answering !

Ok, so what I'd have to do is rack to a secoundary carboy, and leave it for 4-8 weeks in the low 30F range, and finally bottle and carb up?

Is there any limits as to how long they should be in room temp during and after carbing? Any chance of introducing off-flavours?

It doesn't really matter. If you're lagering in the bottle, it doesn't matter if you do it after it carbs up. That will be fine.

I always lagered before bottling (still do). But I know many people who don't have room for a full keg or carboy in their lagering fridge, so they do what you're suggesting- bottle, carb up, then lager for 8 weeks.

Thanks again !

So, I racked to 2ndary, dressed the whole thing up in a sleeping bag, then put everything into a new dirty laundry bag (fit perfectly) - took it outside on the porch and covered it with some shovels of snow. It looks redicilous but just might work... ! =)

This was yesterday, evening, and it hadn't froze or anything by this morning... even though it's -16 Celcius pt.. :)

Latest posts

Back