Juice & Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juglar

Reaction score
Hey all, this may be a ridiculous question, but.....

Have any of you ever brewed a beer/cider hybrid? I was joking with my girl that it would be awesome to have an Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Stout with breakfast and she asked me if I could do that and I wasn't sure if it would come out right. I'm seriously thinking about giving it a shot and was wondering if there was any glaringly obvious reason not to.

I thought about that this fall with all of the fresh cider around. Why don't you pour a black and tan with some stout and some hard cider and give us a report!

I bet that the gravity of the cider would be too low to pour properly though.

I think the only thing I would worry about is that you would probably loose all the apple flavor. A good amount of that flavor ferments away and a roasty beer would undoubtedly hide the apple. You would probably be left with a slightly cidery flavor which is usually a flaw in beer and a lot of people don't like it, but if you are expecting it then it might be OK.

Now, if you mixed the a pouring that might be a different story...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakebite_(beer_cocktail)

I'd try mixing first. Try different ratios of cider to stout. Better a couple of pints down the drain than a whole batch.

I forget what it was called, but I remember having a drink that was Guinness and Cider together at some bar when the Guinness Girls were there. It wasn't bad for a change, but nothing i would drink on a regular basis.

I've used fruit juice and whole fruit in beer already. Although I haven't tried what you suggest (do it-it sounds great!!!), I would make the stout with cinnamon, then ferment it and add the apple juice/whole fruit in the secondary. Then you will retain most of the fruit characteristics and they won't ferment away. That is how I make my fruit beers. If using whole fruit, I will rinse it off to get any visible gunk off and macerate it, then dump it in. I have also used kriek (cherry juice) to make a cherry wheat, but the $20 for the can was kinda steep.

... I'll be finding out the hard way!
I just made my first batch of beer. Still in primary after 2 weeks. Started with an extract stout kit recipe and I added 2lbs corn sugar to bump up the abv. I added 2 quarts of 100% apple juice with the wort going into primary, for a 5 gallon batch. The original idea (which is now but a distant wish) was for an apple, vanilla, bourbon, stout. It didn't dawn on me that the apple juice would, basically, turn into cider. I still may add some flavors to it and go into a secondary. Maybe I can add some apples and cinnamon and a little vanilla after fermentation and end up with something tastey.

Latest posts

Back