Pump toolbox - sloped sides?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyC

Reaction score
I got my pump yesterday and I want to do a toolbox mount. Every plastic toolbox I have looked at has slightly sloped sides. Of the 10s of builds I've read through, I haven't seen anyone address how they deal with sloped sides of their toolboxes. I look at the toolbox builds and those are the same or similar I've seen at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc.

I've got the 809-HS-PLC (center inlet) so I was thinking I'd just mount it to the bottom of the toolbox. But if the sides have a slight taper to them...

So how is everyone doing it?

Thanks.

The pump mounts pretty solid to the side, even if it's sloped. Mine is. Just have the bottom of the pump sit at an angle on the bottom of the tool box. It works just fine

mine is slightly sloped, i dont even notice. i went right through the side like almost everyone else. i did have to get longer machine screws for the threads to adequately engage.

I got my pump yesterday and I want to do a toolbox mount. Every plastic toolbox I have looked at has slightly sloped sides. Of the 10s of builds I've read through, I haven't seen anyone address how they deal with sloped sides of their toolboxes. I look at the toolbox builds and those are the same or similar I've seen at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc.

I've got the 809-HS-PLC (center inlet) so I was thinking I'd just mount it to the bottom of the toolbox. But if the sides have a slight taper to them...

So how is everyone doing it?

Thanks.

Don't mount it to the bottom. Mount it to the side only. The bottom of the pump floats.

PM me if you want to look at mine. I work in Tampa.

I looked at the Stanley rolling boxes and and I noted that those sides would work. I'm concerned that I couldn't mount the pump low enough since I haven't fabbed my brew stand yet and I'm still brewing with turkey fryers.

It didn't occur to me to only attach the pump by the face and not the motor body. :cross: That makes it easier. I'll probably put some rubber feet on the bottom of the motor mount to provide some support and and shape them with a file so they align the face of the pump with the slope of the toolbox.

Thanks.

Don't mount it to the bottom. Mount it to the side only. The bottom of the pump floats.

PM me if you want to look at mine. I work in Tampa.

why can you not mount it to the bottom and let the pump head free float? That way if you hit the pump head you do not risking breaking the pump where it attaches to the tool box. By mounting it to a larger piece of wood then attaching the wood to the bottom of the tool box, and making your side hole a little larger there will be a little play to take impacts

furthermore you are not messing up the distance between the 2 magnets that I am sure march has designed to be optimal

why can you not mount it to the bottom and let the pump head free float? That way if you hit the pump head you do not risking breaking the pump where it attaches to the tool box. By mounting it to a larger piece of wood then attaching the wood to the bottom of the tool box, and making your side hole a little larger there will be a little play to take impacts

Go ahead, maybe it'll be better. They way mine is mounted, it's mostly waterproof. I've been using it quite a lot and I wouldn't do it differently if I had to do it again.

You can adjust the magnet position on the shaft to accommodate the thickness of the wall.

is the pump made to do this or is it a DIY type of thing? I have a SS march pump head so mounting it would be pretty solid but should I still be worried about breaking the plastic mount that would be inside the toolbox? Trying to picture it in my head, I would think the force would transfer from the pump head to the tool box and not rest of the pump.

is the pump made to do this or is it a DIY type of thing? I have a SS march pump head so mounting it would be pretty solid but should I still be worried about breaking the plastic mount that would be inside the toolbox? Trying to picture it in my head, I would think the force would transfer from the pump head to the tool box and not rest of the pump.

It is very very solid. I wouldn't worry about breaking it (I have broken a pump head, wish I had a metal one!)

I mounted mine in an ammo box. Square sides, thin wall and waterproof

image-1434023896.jpg

Back