JSP Maltmill Roller Recovery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeauxBrew77

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm stumped. I dug out my brewing equipment from storage, planning to get it going again, finally, after a big move and a cute little kid happened.

My 2 keggles were in perfect shape as was my pump, the only high dollar thing that was damaged was my JSP Maltmill. The rollers took a real hit and were covered in light rust. Cursing myself (because I know better than to store a mill anywhere but my office) I took the rollers out, put some mineral oil on them, and scrubbed the hell out of them. I've managed to get most of the rust off, but left behind are several tiny dark spots. No amount of scrubbing will remove them (I've tried) but they don't seem to be pitting, just discoloration. Is there some sort of bath I can give the rollers to clean up this last bit? Or do I not worry about it? Or do I throw them away and get new rollers? I don't want to put anything nasty in my mash!

Thanks!

roller.jpg

You'll probably be just fine. I dont really see a way that the off colors will affect your beer.

What exactly are your worries with them?

No worries that I can see:) Just wanted to be on the safe side and ask folks more knowledgeable than me (not hard) when it comes to the properties of metal. Thanks for the response, I feel better knowing I can move on to ordering ingredients now that my last big ticket item (for now) is ready for duty.

"Cold rolled steel" according to JSP's website. All I really know is in South Louisiana you're a fool if you store it un-olied in a non climate-controlled storage unit. It will rust with a quickness. And I did it anyway!

Take a pound or two of the cheapest grain you can find, and run it through. It will do one of two things: remove the crap, or not. Either way, you should be good.

Take a pound or two of the cheapest grain you can find, and run it through. It will do one of two things: remove the crap, or not. Either way, you should be good.

That is just what I would do. I would not worry to much about it.

Update: After taking stock of the rest of the mill I threw away the pressed wood frame. It had absorbed too much moisture. After a brainstorm I hit Lowes and got a few sheets of lexan and banged this out last night. Pretty fun grinding with it, it feels like an ant farm.

img00187n.jpg

Yeah, I don't have a ton of space for brewing so motorizing seems too bulky (although I'm sure I'll get to it one day) And I'm a lazy pig so hand cranking was never an option either. My drill does the job just fine and it packs up easy.

Back