Chocolatey recipe & salsa beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First, I kind of wanted to make a slightly chocolatey beer with some vienna or munich malts. Does chocolate malt contribute a real chocolate taste? How much should I add if I only want it to be just noticeable?

Second, has anyone done a salsa beer? Maybe by adding some tomato sauce, garlic, and some jalapenos? I would also like to throw some cilantro (well, maybe a LOT since I love cilantro....yum) in there, but I know I can't boil it since cilantro's flavor compounds disintegrate when you heat them. Can anybody give me some info so I can start researching what this might involve?

Thanks!

from Brewiki: Chocolate Malt - A dark malt that gives a rich red or brown color and a nutty flavor.
No real chocolate flavor. I'm not familiar with any malt that does give it, but it's not uncommon to use actual chocolate or cocoa in your brewing.
I don't nothing about no salsa beer, but two years ago at the Great Taste of the Midwest there was a pizza beer available. Not to my liking, but it had the common pizza sauce herbs in it. Try Googling it.

I'm making a sweet chocolate stout. It has chocolate malt, as well as cocoa powder and lactose. Thats probably the best way to do. You probably don't want to use milk chocolate since it has too much fat.

Salsa beer...sounds strange. I might skip the tomato sauce. Other than that, you could dry spice with some jalapenos, cilantro and maybe some garlic powder.

I'm making a sweet chocolate stout. It has chocolate malt, as well as cocoa powder and lactose. Thats probably the best way to do. You probably don't want to use milk chocolate since it has too much fat.

Salsa beer...sounds strange. I might skip the tomato sauce. Other than that, you could dry spice with some jalapenos, cilantro and maybe some garlic powder.

Thanks for the info about cocoa powder. BTW, I just graduated from Clemson May 2008.

Back