Drink Beer, Run Better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if this has hit the board yet, but if not, check out the story here:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/nonalcoholic-beer-aids-marathon-recovery/

Granted, there's a lot of conditions attached to this, and we'll have to see whether alcoholic beer has the same effect, and whether it's effective at lower doses, but still... good news.

“Furthermore, it is not possible to drink one to one and a half liters of alcoholic beer per day, especially not during strenuous training.”

Ummmm.... what?

how the hell do you make a "placebo" beer that has no ingredients of beer actually in it?

you can tell me splenda tastes like sugar all you want. my tounge is always going to tell me differently.

Has there been any followup? Athletes would be more concerned about performance in the event than the damage done. Yet, there was not one sentence or thought given to performance. Did the beneficial effects in fact enable him to train harder and more effectively? Did he perform better as a result? Hell, I can drink a liter of beer each day during training, train less hard due to the, ummm, side effects, and still show an improvement by their study. I'm healthier already for not running at all, for that matter.

Back