Weekend haul from Sam's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
I stopped into Sam's yesterday while on a short jaunt to Chicago. I passed up a lot of known good beers and concentrated solely on beers I'd never had a chance to try before. OK, all but the Racer 5, which I had once on another trip but can't get locally. But the rest will be first timers for me. I picked up a six of each:

beers.jpg

The only one I tried last night was the Lilja's Argosy IPA, and I have to say I was disappointed in that. Hard to tell what it was supposed to taste like because it was WAY over-carbonated. The kind where you can't even pour half a glass without it foaming over, and the CO2 is so harsh that it covers up everything else. Don't know whether I just got a bad batch or if that's the norm, but I couldn't even finish the bottle. I seem to run into a lot of beers lately that are freakishly over-carbed.

I have high hopes for the Bell's Hopsolution. I'm usually always pleased with a Bell's offering.

Oh, and I managed a stop into the Three Floyds Brewpub for a quick lunch today. I'd not been in there before. Nice beer of course.

Are those Bear Republic beers in 12oz bottles? My local beer store guy swore he could only get them in 22's.

Yeah, they're 12 oz bottles in a six-pack. The only other time I had the racer 5 was down in SC in a 22 oz. I was pleased to run across it in a six.

I've been looking for bear republic beers. i hear they're really well crafted. I'm jealous again! :D

Well I've never seen them here in Indiana, not that I've been to every liquor store in the State or anything. Take a jaunt up to Sam's in Chicago. Lot's of stuff there that we never see in the Hoosier State. As a bonus, Sam's is within a couple of blocks of Goose Island, which is a fine place to cool your heels while SWMBO is futzing around in Crate and Barrel or The Land of Nod or some other miserable place like that.

Back