Hops in fermenter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbacca

Reaction score
Please know that I am very new at brewing and I hope this question is not too idiotic.
I got a MR Beer brewkit for my birthday awhile back and while I really would like to get a better kit here soon I figured I would use the extract kit that came with this instead of letting it go to waste.
Anyways, the instructions call for hops to be added to the wort and then moving the wort into the fermenter. Am I supposed to strain the hops out as I transfer it over or is it OK to leave hops in the wort and ferment like it is.
Are there any times you leave hops in the wort when fermenting or are they always strained out before fermenting??
Thanks for any help and I love this forum.

If the instructions say to strain them, strain them. Otherwise let em ride.

I think most people here like to strain them out while pouring into the fermenter. Then there are a few who just pour the whole shebang in.

I have never used a Mr. Beer, so I can't say with any certainty what they are after with the hops. Perhaps they want you to leave them in as a way of adding aroma to the brew. Then in another similar thread, people pointed out that the CO2 being driven off will pretty much do away with hop aroma when adding hops to the primary fermenter

Bottom line, it doesn't make much difference either way you do it....

Thanks a lot for that info. This is my second batch that I am brewing with the MR Beer and I must say that it will be my last. My last beer didn't turn out that well and I don't really trust the freshness of the ingredients that they sell. I am moving onto a kit and ingredients from my local brewshop.

Sorry to hear about the less than perfect batch. As was pointed out by someone in GOODBREW's Mr. Beer thread, you don't want to go by the Mr. Beer timeline. Only a week in the fermenter and then a week in the bottles, is really pushing it. I would leave it in there for two weeks before bottling. Then about another two weeks in the bottles to carb up and age a tad. Your first batch may still improve with more aging in the bottles.

If you strain the hops out remember to sanitize the strainer.

A work mate has a Mr Beer kit and he tried his first batch last week. He followed the directions to the letter and after a week the fermentation never did start. It got me to thinking that maybe the ingredients aren't the freshest in those kits. Some kits may sit on store shelves for quite some time. I suggested to him to purchase fresh yeast from the LHBS and throw away the stuff that comes with the kit.

Latest posts

Back