Hurrying a Belgian Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosslow

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was thinkin about brewing a darker kind of a Christmas saison (very close to the Saison de Noel limited edition recipe from NB). Due to time constraints, in order for me to get this home for Christmas...I would have to bottle the guy about 2 weeks after brew day. I was just wondering what your thoughts are on hurrying up a Belgian like this and if you still think its an ok idea, would you suggest a longer time in primary or a longer time in secondary out of those two weeks?

I'll be using one of Wyeast's "Private Collection" strains - 3726 Farmhouse Ale...I understand that Saison yeasts tend to stall sometimes but I planned on leaving it outside of the temp controlled chest freezer (as it is being occupied by a Dunkel in the middle of lagering) and in a closet where the primary ferment can get a chance of getting up to 80 degF, thus making me think that it will fully attenuate fairly quickly (hopefully 4-5 days)...

Just any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated or if you have any experience with "hurrying" Belgians in the past!

I have had belgians ferment quickly (in the range you're talking about) but they still need time to bottle condition and mellow out so you can get all the flavor of the yeast on your palate. It is possible to have one done in a month. But it won't be at it's best. And it depends on what gravity you're starting with. The bigger beers take longer.

Hey Everyone,

I was thinkin about brewing a darker kind of a Christmas saison (very close to the Saison de Noel limited edition recipe from NB). Due to time constraints, in order for me to get this home for Christmas...I would have to bottle the guy about 2 weeks after brew day. I was just wondering what your thoughts are on hurrying up a Belgian like this and if you still think its an ok idea, would you suggest a longer time in primary or a longer time in secondary out of those two weeks?

I'll be using one of Wyeast's "Private Collection" strains - 3726 Farmhouse Ale...I understand that Saison yeasts tend to stall sometimes but I planned on leaving it outside of the temp controlled chest freezer (as it is being occupied by a Dunkel in the middle of lagering) and in a closet where the primary ferment can get a chance of getting up to 80 degF, thus making me think that it will fully attenuate fairly quickly (hopefully 4-5 days)...

Just any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated or if you have any experience with "hurrying" Belgians in the past!

Not sure I would try to rush a 1.070 beer to bottles. Some beers can be hurried successfully (see the article in November/December 2011 issue of Zymurgy) but they are lower gravity beers that will be kegged and burst carbonated. There's no quick way around the conditioning/carbonation time required when you are bottling.

Back