What kind of hose should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slt140

Reaction score
Hello wise brewers,
I am an extract brewer who is building a keggle to boil in. I wish to raise it on a stand, boil and then use gravity to feed my wort through a plate chiller and into my 5 gal carboys. I am wondering what kind of tubing to use and where to get it. The man at Lowes said that all of the vinyl hose cannot withstand boiling temp and I am afraid that if i use copper, it will be too rigid to connect/disconnect to flush out the keggle after I use it. I looked at various pics on Google and here at HBT and it looks like some of them are using soft hose. What should I use?

Awesome, thanks. What about fittings? Are the Polysulfone Disconnects on the same site rated for that temp as well? it doesnt say in the description but I would assume so. Here is another question, When I put the fitting in the kettle does it matter how high up from the bottom I drill the hole? Someday I will move to AG brewing and this kettle may become a mash tun for a herms and I want the fitting to match up with the outlet of the false bottoms. These may sound like silly questions but I really am new to this and you know how us noobs worry :confused:

I say that on a daily basis. If anyone were to ever ask my opinion about what to do first before brewing I'd say read every sticky in every catagory. There is a wealth of knowledge here that I have benefited from. My hats off to all of you out there.

Back