Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a dumb question, but why only a 60 minute boil when pilsner malt is used? I thought pilsner malt meant an automatic 90 minute boil? I ask cause I was plugging this recipe in Beer Smith and bitterness is off the chart for the style and I think it's cause of the FWH and 90 minute boil. Did everyone do 90 minute or 60 minute boils? :mug:

I've done 90 min boils on the two batches I've brewed. Came out terrific. Doing another batch next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have found in my tastings that modern Pilsen is better converted and a 90 minute boil is rather superfluous but your results may be different given different maltsters.

I have also brewed this using gambrinus 2-row which is closer to a Maris otter than a pilsner in its maltiness and colour. This recipe has so many facets that a light Pilsen malt is almost lost anyway so I tend towards common 2-row quite often

For a 6 gal batch? That's impressive!

What temp did you ferment at?

If there's one style of beer you can afford to stress yeast its a saison. I never have doubled up on a dry yeast for 5 finished gallons of beer. Very few batches have turned out badly.

Does anyone know what the effect would be if I used Spring Blossom Honey instead of orange blossom?

I would imagine less citrus notes, and more apple, etc (based on what I've read about spring blossom honey)

Orange blossom honey is tricky to get here in South Africa, but I can get hold of the spring blossom for relatively cheap.

Thoughts?

Does anyone know what the effect would be if I used Spring Blossom Honey instead of orange blossom?

I would imagine less citrus notes, and more apple, etc (based on what I've read about spring blossom honey)

Orange blossom honey is tricky to get here in South Africa, but I can get hold of the spring blossom for relatively cheap.

Thoughts?

I used raw wild flower. I just added lemon zest to the boil. Came out fantastic.

Thoughts?

I used medium Belgian Candi syrup plus some orange zest in my last batch & it was great. Planning the same thing w/ a batch this week.

I've been wanting to brew this for a while now. Brewed it based almost exactly from the OPs recipe. I took a few notes on brew day:

Added .5lbs more pilsner to take into account my system and a bit less efficiency

Mashed at 149 - Did not mash out
First runnings gravity = 1.064
Pre boil gravity = 1.042
60min boil
OG = 1.062

Used 3711 - Made 1L starter, chilled and decanted most of the liquid
Pitched on 4.5.2014 at 63 and let free rise to 70

I'll follow up in about 5-6 weeks to let y'all know how it tastes. Thanks again for the recipe and all the comments. They were very helpful

I've been wanting to brew this for a while now. Brewed it based almost exactly from the OPs recipe. I took a few notes on brew day:

Added .5lbs more pilsner to take into account my system and a bit less efficiency

Pre boil gravity = 1.042
60min boil
OG = 1.062

I'll follow up in about 5-6 weeks to let y'all know how it tastes. Thanks again for the recipe and all the comments. They were very helpful

Glad you are brewing this one! It's about time I brewed some more myself!

I'm so impressed that this beer has made so many people happy, I never thought it would be such a popular recipe when I first posted it!

I have this planned for Thursday. Have EKG and some magnum on hand so Im probably going to use those and will add some lemon zest. Really looking forward to this recipe after reading through this thread.

Pre boil gravity = 1.042
60min boil
OG = 1.062

Whew.... This 3711 has started kicking out some sulfur. Any of you folks experience this with this recipe?

I think I've really screwed this up... I'm trying to wrap my head around what happened.
It's my first AG brew. HERMS system. Mash went beautiful. Added the 3.4 gallons to MLT (I have a sight glass on HLT). Temps were within 1-2 degrees for the full 60 mins. Mash out. Transfer mash to boil kettle. I then sparge with two halves of the 1.4gal (stir, vorlauf etc). There's barely enough liquid to circulate with my pump.

I for some reason checked the sparge SG after the second half, and (temp corrected) it was 1.05 and still just as dark. I thought... well, there's still a ton of sugar left. So I did another 1 gallon sparge (which I probably was in the wrong to do?).

I measured my pre-boil SG in the BK (1.050), which actually was almost the same as the calculated I had done (1.058). So now I'm at roughly 5.5 gal in the BK (I don't have a sight glass on my BK yet, but I did use a measuring stick). I go ahead and complete the boil. I chilled it to 70F (best I could do), and transferred to carboy. It was at roughly the 4 gallon mark. I reaally should have measured SG at this point, but I assumed it would be high because my volume was low. I added more water to get to about 4.8 gallons, and check my SG just to be sure I wasn't adding too much.... and it was 1.031....
Should my sparge liquid have been a lower gravity after the second half? When I added the .75gal, it did not rise over the grain bed.
How vigorous should your boil be? Initially I had both 1500W elements on and I was getting a pretty violent boil. I dropped down to one of my 1500W elements and it was steaming maybe half the amount. It was a rolling boil, but just over the one element's side of the kettle.
My assumption is I did not get enough extracted during sparging, underestimated my preboil volume, and added too much water in the fermeter. Any thoughts? I'm a bit puzzled.

Edit: took another gravity reading. It was 1.039. I'm thinking the water I added initially was not mixed up well. Regardless, its still pretty low. I took a taste and it is bitter, like a very hoppy ipa.

I have not posted to this thread before, but have brewed this recipe. Thank you azscoob for the heads up on a good saison. Saison is THE most favorite non beer style for me. Everyone's saison is different. I have a go-to recipe I love and brew over and over. I don't know what it is about Belgian saison, but for me it is hard to drink anything else. Again, azscoob, Thanks for the recipe. Cheers.

I have not posted to this thread before, but have brewed this recipe. Thank you azscoob for the heads up on a good saison. Saison is THE most favorite non beer style for me. Everyone's saison is different. I have a go-to recipe I love and brew over and over. I don't know what it is about Belgian saison, but for me it is hard to drink anything else. Again, azscoob, Thanks for the recipe. Cheers.

Sudbuster, is there a link to your recipe somewhere you could share?

got some sulfur when fermenting but it seems to have cleared... OG 1.06 to 1.004 today after only 6 days.
The sulfur didn't carry through to the taste and this beer tastes like some of the best commercial saisons I've drank already warm and flat...
can't wait to try it aged, carbed and cold.

Every yeast I've used goes through that sulfury stage. Just part of the metabolism.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just measured my FG.
Ended up with 1.001. My OG was 1.054
Defiantly a Saison in taste, unfortunately mine has an alcohol bite to in.
Hopefully that diminishes over time in the bottle.

pitched yeast at 65°
natural rise to 68° for one week
raise to 70° for one week
raise to 72° for one week
raise to 75° fort one week

Made my 4th batch of this. Used Mandarina Bavaria hop and added a bit more and a bit later. Should be ready in around 7 days.

Will let you know results when it is kegged.

Just measured my FG.

Ended up with 1.001. My OG was 1.054

Defiantly a Saison in taste, unfortunately mine has an alcohol bite to in.

Hopefully that diminishes over time in the bottle.

pitched yeast at 65°

natural rise to 68° for one week

raise to 70° for one week

raise to 72° for one week

raise to 75° fort one week

That bite will go away after a little bit of time. This is one go my favorite recipes.

I followed this recipe but added no pepper and half the amount of honey.

My fermentation schedule started at 74 and worked its way up to 84 within 4 days using a bucket filled with water and an aquarium heater. Turned off heat after 2.5 weeks or so and bottled at 3.5 weeks. FG at 1.004. Starting gravity was not quite as high as this recipe.

The beer turned out pretty good and has been in the bottle for a few months now. Nice orange and cloudy - amazing head. I used table sugar and an online calculator. I have always bottled with corn sugar and have never had great success for some reason. Perhaps it was because it was extract batches or something but this one clearly has no head problem.

The aroma is fantastic, exactly what I was looking for. I am not too impressed with the hops but that's probably just me. I would play around with the kind of hops next time. Perhaps just less of it would be key.

My next go-around of a saison will be a recipe with a lighter, more bright-yellow like Minnesota's Lift Bridge Farm Girl Saison. I'll also use Wyeast Belgian 3724. It's far more finicky and likely to get stuck midway, but I have temperature control and want more funkiness in the flavor that the yeast can deliver and not just in the funkiness in the aroma like this one did.

Thanks for the recipe. I'm glad I brewed it and will be enjoying it throughout the beginning of summer - the perfect time for this beer.

saison.jpg

If you want funkiness without the fuss try using WLP566, Saison II, it might be a seasonal strain though. I save some from each cake when I use it so I haven't had to seek it out since I first used it. I generally prefer wyeast but this is one white labs strain that I like and it delivers on the attenuation and funk that you look for in Saisons.

If you want funkiness without the fuss try using WLP566, Saison II, it might be a seasonal strain though. I save some from each cake when I use it so I haven't had to seek it out since I first used it. I generally prefer wyeast but this is one white labs strain that I like and it delivers on the attenuation and funk that you look for in Saisons.

I'll have to use that one. Looks like Midwest doesn't currently have it so it must be seasonal. Thanks for the heads up.

I brewed this up about a month ago, my first all grain recipe. Turned out great! Fermented at 66 deg for three weeks, OG 1.063 finished at 1.004, love the 3711 yeast. Bottles only a week ago and it's already nicely carbed and delicious. Will definitely make this one again!!

I brewed this up about a month ago, my first all grain recipe. Turned out great! Fermented at 66 deg for three weeks, OG 1.063 finished at 1.004, love the 3711 yeast. Bottles only a week ago and it's already nicely carbed and delicious. Will definitely make this one again!!

Glad you are diggin it!

Thanks azscoob! Awesome!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398810342.723044.jpg

Great recipe and a great beer!
Mine seems a bit darker...not sure if that's the lighting or what happened but it tastes great

Thanks azscoob! Awesome!

View attachment 196416

Great recipe and a great beer!
Mine seems a bit darker...not sure if that's the lighting or what happened but it tastes great

Looking good! Just need you to ship out a bottle to me for quality control purposes and for comparison to known original recipe formulation....

I have been following this thread for awhile sompls. Thanks for the BIF including one of these beers! Cheers

Latest posts

Back