Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummmm.....

How long has it been in the carboy/bucket for? Brett will continue to eat sugars for a long time and if you bottle prematurely then you will get bottle bombs.

It's been about three weeks now. I took a sample last week and it was down to 1.005, so as long as it's normalized there, I think I'll be good to go. If it's still dropping I'll wait a while longer. Gravity sample tasted interesting. Has a really fruity nose from the WLP 644 (Brett Brux Trois).

I think typical all-brett beers are bottled between 6 weeks and 3 months. The gravity can get down really low but when it gets that low it goes really slow for a while. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable bottling until about 8 weeks. I'll let others talk that have experience with all-brett beers.

Well, that's disappointing... I will have to wait longer to try this beer!

Thanks for the tips, guys! I haven't had any bottle bombs yet, and I don't want to start now. I'll let them sit.

I'll just have to brew up another batch with 3711 that I can keg while I wait for this one :D

If you keg it you can do it whenever, the burst pressure of a keg is huge.

When you overcarbonate a bottle it goes bang,
When you hit burst pressure on a keg it's epic!

Haha! I've thought about kegging it, but I'm not sure I want to dedicate a tap to Brett beers, and I've read enough things about Brett getting into other beers in my keezer to frighten me out of kegging it... Boo.

It's been about three weeks now. I took a sample last week and it was down to 1.005, so as long as it's normalized there, I think I'll be good to go. If it's still dropping I'll wait a while longer. Gravity sample tasted interesting. Has a really fruity nose from the WLP 644 (Brett Brux Trois).

I did some more reading and I think you are safe to bottle at about 4 weeks with Brett brux trois. At least in BYO magazine it says that strain of Brett consistently finishes in 3 weeks, compared to 6 months like other Brett strains.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did some more reading and I think you are safe to bottle at about 4 weeks with Brett brux trois. At least in BYO magazine it says that strain of Brett consistently finishes in 3 weeks, compared to 6 months like other Brett strains.

Nice! Thanks for that. I still might hold off another week or two, just to be on the safe side. I'm really looking forward to trying it, though!

I'll be honest, I was sceptical, but Belle Saison is a beast.
OG was 1.055, started at 18C and ramped it over 2 weeks to 28C.
Currently sitting at 1.003 (Beersmith calculated expected FG of 1.009).

Will bottle in a week, looking forward to this one.

Brewed this up May 2 and kept the fermentation temp in the low to mid 70's. OG was 1.060 and FG was 1.002. Took a first sample last night (May 20) and it's pretty darn good. Can't make out any pepper but that might change when it gets carbonated.

How long are you all letting this primary before kegging?

Brewed this up May 2 and kept the fermentation temp in the low to mid 70's. OG was 1.060 and FG was 1.002. Took a first sample last night (May 20) and it's pretty darn good. Can't make out any pepper but that might change when it gets carbonated.

How long are you all letting this primary before kegging?

I let this sit in primary for a month, then keg and carbonate to around 3 volumes.

I'm no expert but this works well for me! :drunk:

I brewed a variation of this a while back. It was a 10gal batch. 5 gal went fast while still young. The other 5 has been in a keg in the basement.

It pretty much settled out clear. Plus the flavor has mellowed out a little. I gotta say it's pretty damn good like this and it was warm.

I know the typical response for the hey what about using x in place of y is "GO FOR IT".

That said I am thinking of using a small amount of vienna in addition to the set grain bill OR caravienne in place of the caramunich. I dont have much background on these malts so I don't know what that decision will produce.

I know the typical response for the hey what about using x in place of y is "GO FOR IT".

That said I am thinking of using a small amount of vienna in addition to the set grain bill OR caravienne in place of the caramunich. I dont have much background on these malts so I don't know what that decision will produce.

I don't have the knowledge to answer this but out of curiosity what are you hoping to change about the recipe?

What do you hope to achieve w/ the substitution?
Caravienne & Caramunich are caramel malts of Vienna & Munich respectively. Caravienne has a 20L color & Caramunich is darker at about 37L.
If you go to straight Vienna in lieu of the Caramunich you'll lighten the color (SRM) and raise your OG a bit. You'll also loose some of the flavor components of the caramel malt.

Bottled this morning.
I had 2 25 litre buckets fermenting, each with a packet of Belle Saison.
Bucket 1 started at 1.055 and finished at 1.003
Bucket 2 started at 1.05 and finished at 1.001.

Taste of both buckets was really good, and the smell is amazing.

Carbed both to 3 volumes, looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

@ azscoob...

This may have already been covered, but after reading a LOT of these pages I couldnt find the answer to this. Did you rack this off into secondary after two weeks or did you just let it ride in the primary for the whole go?

@ azscoob...

This may have already been covered, but after reading a LOT of these pages I couldnt find the answer to this. Did you rack this off into secondary after two weeks or did you just let it ride in the primary for the whole go?

I don't use a secondary fermenter for anything but fruit beers, this one I simply moved the fermenter from the fermentation chamber (a converted dorm fridge) to sitting on top of the unit where it was hotter.. No need to rack to a different fermenter, simply move it to somewhere warmer yet protected from sunlight.

I keep things simple when I brew, less complicated means less stress you know!

Not to restart an old argument but just as a personal preference & based on my overall experience & outcomes I secondary all my beers ( ales) as well as keg conditioning all.
I brewed my fourth batch of this saison today based on the OP's recipe.
All went well & I hope the results are as excellent as before.

I too usually rack to a secondary but this is my first saison and I wanted to stick as close to your original recipe. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Not to restart an old argument but just as a personal preference & based on my overall experience & outcomes I secondary all my beers ( ales) as well as keg conditioning all.
I brewed my fourth batch of this saison today based on the OP's recipe.
All went well & I hope the results are as excellent as before.

pssssh secondary...not so much

shbw.jpg

JBOGAN, that's an extraordinary score! Well done!

Seeing medals, ribbons, and pics of this beer looking amazing (and tasting amazing I might add) make me proud! It's like having a child graduate college and actually making something of themselves.

I have read some of this thread but not all. Do you have an extract recipe for this beer? I don't have the ability to do an all grain batch right now.

I have read some of this thread but not all. Do you have an extract recipe for this beer? I don't have the ability to do an all grain batch right now.

There is indeed an extract recipe, but I STILL haven't added it to the original post, time to do some searching....

Okay, found something. There's a partial mash recipe on page 37. I'll let you know if I find a full on extract recipe.

image.jpg

I just pulled a pint from my second 5 gal keg that has been aged a few months.

Damn, I don't know if it's better young or with some age. It has changed some, but damn is it ever as good as it was young... I feel like it's calmed down some.

It seems smoother and a bit more mellow. It's like the flavors have melded better. The maltiness has come forward while the funkiness has subsided slightly.

Before, the funkiness was in your face. Now it's feeling very rich (even though it's dry as hell) and the funkiness is still there in full affect but the sweetness balances it out.

I feel like I'm drinking a really high end expensive beer right now. Grant it I did make some subtle changes from the original (mainly the hops to ekg and honey was raw natural wildflower and I added some lemon zest), but it's worthy of a gold medal in my mind. :rockin:

Now that looks like a wonderful beer there!

Bottle a beer or two and enter it in a couple comps, what you have to loose aside from a few 12 oz samples!

Brewing this recipe right now :)

My LHBS doesn't usually carry wyeast, but they made a special order and I bought a pack of 3711 to try this recipe.

Thanks azscoob.

I am brewing this tomorrow and just realized I don't have any Caramunich. What I do have is Caravienne, Munich, Crystal 40/120. I know there is no true sub for Carmunich but any thoughts on how to proceed?

I am brewing this tomorrow and just realized I don't have any Caramunich. What I do have is Caravienne, Munich, Crystal 40/120. I know there is no true sub for Carmunich but any thoughts on how to proceed?

It's a bit lighter, but I would roll forward with what you have, or sub in dark Munich for the caramunich, I'm not sweating substitutions on that scale, it's pretty minor in the grand scale of things...

Brewing this recipe right now :)

My LHBS doesn't usually carry wyeast, but they made a special order and I bought a pack of 3711 to try this recipe.

Thanks azscoob.

Save the yeast from the brew, it's worth it, amazing stuff! Jar off a few slugs of yeast...

Brewed this last Monday, from OG to 1.002 in 7 days, you guys weren't lying about this yeast! Thanks Azscoob, I'm looking foward to tapping this keg in a few weeks.

Back