Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around 2 weeks after bottling it tastes great!
But I made a starter that was too big and/or didn't ferment it hot enough, because it's not as spicy and funky as I thought it would be, more subtle and crisp, but it's still really really good!

Thanks for the recipe! Will be making another batch this summer with some Mosaic added at the end of boil and a little warmer fermentation.

1Vfw23j.jpg

I've got to chime in and sing azscoob's praises here.
This beer is fantastic. I've had two people say it's my best homebrew yet and I just entered it in a competition for national brew day. I'm pretty optimistic it'll do well.

Thanks azscoob!

My nephew wants to learn to brew, I'm thinking I'm going to streamline my brewing at the new house with a quick hefe, then show him the ropes on this recipe, he is pretty stoked to learn to brew!

You bet!
I hope you enjoy...but seriously I would really appreciate the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Fantastic sompls ! Thanks for sending me this fine brew. The nose is excellent and it drinks awesome as well. I am partial to saisons and this one is an excellent example of the style. This is every bit as good as the saison I won a local comp here with. I need to try brewing this one sometime and have some of the shipwreck brewed up so I can try them side by side. I'm sure this one is every bit as good. Cheers
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/shipwrecked-saison-439724/

ResizedImage_1399419302619.jpg

Hey thanks dude! I'm glad you enjoyed...I've got the shipwreck recipe on my radar and hope to brew it up soon.

I have your beer in the fridge, I was going to do a tasting tonight, but alas.... a far less than stellar day at work has forced me to have a few fingers of Talisker scotch (a very fine example of scotch from the isle of Skye if I must say) after dinner so my taste buds won't be up to the task of a proper tasting, so I'm shooting for tomorrow for your brew assessment.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

:) priorities! Had a day like that my own self but ended it with a win by the 8th grader's baseball team so all is not lost! Can't wait to hear your review...and tomorrow is another day!

Is there an extract version of this somewhere in the 94 pages? I would love to give this a shot.

Pretty sure I posted the partial mash version that I brewed a while back, which turned out very well. Don't have it in front of me now, but PM me if you can't find it in the thread and I can send it over.

I really need to find the PM, and extract recipes in this thread and edit the original recipe post with them.

Brewed my 4th batch of this recently but did a big change out on the hops.

I bittered with EKG and then did nothing until 5 min and added 1.5 oz of mandarina bavaria.

It is fricking delicious.

!!!

Mandarina Bavaria in Saison rocks.

Brewed my 4th batch of this recently but did a big change out on the hops.

I bittered with EKG and then did nothing until 5 min and added 1.5 oz of mandarina bavaria.

It is fricking delicious.

!!!

Mandarina Bavaria in Saison rocks.

I'm going to have to try that variety on my next batch, I've never used it.... What sort of flavor profile does it have?

I'm going to have to try that variety on my next batch, I've never used it.... What sort of flavor profile does it have?

it tastes of tangerines and mandarins, goes amazing with the fruity esters produced by the 3711

I have a bottle chillin' right now... maybe I'll get a chance to crack it open when I get home..

The dreaded day has come..
A bottle has been chilling n the fridge seance morning.
Cracked it open... has carbonation
pour... nice head but not the foamy I was hoping for.
Taste.. A little funk but not enough for my liking
Something else is a bit off also.
Drink-ability... Yes I am going to finish them all

over all tasty.

Very good beer as brew day was a complete FUBAR

My brew day
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/i-must-have-brewed-awsome-beer-today-467903/

2 questions:
1. Is cold-crashing recommended?
2. For those who bottled conditioned, what carbonation level did you aim for?

2 questions:
1. Is cold-crashing recommended?
2. For those who bottled conditioned, what carbonation level did you aim for?

1) I did not cold-crash nor do I think it's necessary. Suspended yeast is good in this beer.

2) I aimed for 3 vols (perhaps in reality I got about 3.1 to 3.3). I am really happy I chose to have a high level of carbonation. It pairs well with the hoppiness and dryness level.

I also wanted to clear the air on my review I posted a while back. This beer is excellent. I find myself coming back to my bottles of this vs. all the others in my fridge. It just needed 3 months of aging in the bottle for it to be where I like it. Less hop bite and more blended hop flavor is what I found time did to this beer.

I haven't brewed this recipe, but I have done a few other Saisons and for me I think the style takes at least 2 months from brew day to be ready to start drinking. Then as with most Belgians they only get better with age.

So is this recipe worth brewing?

Having made this once, and the keg kicking way too quick, I'd say yes this is definitely worth brewing.

Got a wicked hangover from too many pints cause it tastes so good I couldn't stop drinking it! :tank:
I added a little lemon and lime zest to mine around flameout, there's so much going on flavor wise in this beer I couldn't even taste it.
I also pitched a smack pack only hoping to get more esters/clove.. mission accomplished. It had no problem fermenting to 1.007. Wyeast 3711 is a beast!

Plan on making this again this weekend since it's been 85 degrees + here lately.

I'm on my fourth batch of it. I'd say it's definitely worth being.

Sweet! :D
Having made this once, and the keg kicking way too quick, I'd say yes this is definitely worth brewing.

Got a wicked hangover from too many pints cause it tastes so good I couldn't stop drinking it! :tank:
I added a little lemon and lime zest to mine around flameout, there's so much going on flavor wise in this beer I couldn't even taste it.
I also pitched a smack pack only hoping to get more esters/clove.. mission accomplished. It had no problem fermenting to 1.007. Wyeast 3711 is a beast!

Plan on making this again this weekend since it's been 85 degrees + here lately.

I will chock that one up in the "yes it's good" column!!!

I do admit it is one of my favorite recipes I came up with!! :rockin:

azscoob, I know others have posted their recipe variants, but how about yourself? Are there any tweaks to the recipe that you are fond of?

I'm actually digging the hop variations people sub in, usually because they have something else on hand, so many flavors out there to be enjoyed by using different hops. I've brewed it with different hops, different honey, subbed in rye, etc.

The beauty of a saison is almost anything goes, so I guess my favorite variations stem from what people have on hand or can get locally.

Speaking of variations, my current batch is being brewed with 100% brett yeast. I also added another 1/2 oz of sorachi ace at flameout. Going to bottle it tomorrow or Friday. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Speaking of variations, my current batch is being brewed with 100% brett yeast. I also added another 1/2 oz of sorachi ace at flameout. Going to bottle it tomorrow or Friday. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Ummmm.....

How long has it been in the carboy/bucket for? Brett will continue to eat sugars for a long time and if you bottle prematurely then you will get bottle bombs.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400180964.520171.jpg

I think my LHBS made a mistake and gave me Munich instead of caramunich. Still came out great just more blonde/yellow than orange.

Please excuse the crappy cell phone picture.

Back