Rinse after bleach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmay

Reaction score
I use bleach to sanitize and rinse after, haven't had a problem yet (knocking on wood) I was concerned about getting bleach solution into brew and killing of yeast. those of you who use bleach do you rinse,

What are the no rinse solutions and have you had good luck with them?

You absolutely, positively MUST rinse if you are using bleach to sanitize. Some believe that the act of rinsing, if not rinsing with previously boiled water, will negate the fact that you just sanitized.

I used bleach to sanitize for my very first brew, found out about the no-rinse sanitizer called Star-San from Five Star Chemicals and have never looked back. It works great!

John

I use betadine. Thanks DAAB.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q...a:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&sa=N&tab=wi

If it's good enough for surgery then for me it not only sanitises but just about sterilises.
At 1.25ml/L it is no rinse.
It does stain plastic if left soaking but I'll live with that.

at <$6 for 500ml it makes enough solution to sanitise for a 100+ brewing sessions.
It's also good for first aid and around the house.
Give me a tub of oxyclean and betadine and I'll conquer any little microbastards!

johnsma22 said:
Some believe that the act of rinsing, if not rinsing with previously boiled water, will negate the fact that you just sanitized.

I use bleach, but I rinse several times with hot water. I am mainly concerned with residual chlorine adding off flavors. As for sanitation I am more concerned about contamination coming from wild yeast or bakers yeast. Bakers yeast is especially a big problem if you eat baked goods before you brew. Bacteria will need to be brought into the system at a vary high number, or be an especially aggressive strain to compete with the 10^8 yeast you pitch into your wort. Where wild yeast or bakers yeast if brought into the wort will be a problem even at a small amount.

Back