Proper Sanitization After STA1+/ Diastaticus strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphoppotamuss

Reaction score
Hi all.
Im currently fermenting a big Saison with Belle Saison and have been reading about the STA1+ / Diastaticus strain hanging around, like forever….

What is the proper sanitation process after completing this batch? Is a good PBW soak sufficient or do I need to run bleach through every line that was in contact with this beer?

I suppose I could just brew farmhouse ales for life but… 🤔

Last edited:
I always think it's a good idea to sanitize with bleach solution or iodine sanitizer once a year, as I use StarSan all the time and hitting everything with something else every so often will keep nasties at bay. Finding what strength to use is fun, given the preponderance of interqebz resources, with John Palmer's book saying 1 tablespoon bleach per gallon water, and other sources going with 1 teaspoon bleach in a gallon of water, mix, then 1 teaspoon vinegar, making a no rinse sanitizer. When I "bleach bomb" I use the tablespoon per gallon, 30s soak, water rinse, StarSan rinse. That's me. You gotta do you.

First beer I brewed was a diastaticus saison. Second beer I brewed...was a diastaticus saison 😂 I love saisons, so probably about 1/4 of the beers I brew are diastaticus. I clean thoroughly where I can reach, PBW soak where I can't, and then sanitize with Star San. I never let things get crusty and I always do a pass over after a PBW soak with a sponge or brush wherever I can reach. I also periodically break down anything that can be broken down and give it a good soak and scrub. I have never had a problem with a diastaticus infection.

I would say first and foremost is your cleaning regimen. If your gear isn't clean then you can't sanitize it. If you can't sanitize then, sure, a diastaticus yeast will stick around. If your cleaning protocols are tight and you sanitize well then you shouldn't have a problem, though. Watch for cracks, crevices, and scratches where gunk can hide. People freak a bit about diastaticus, but it's not brett. If you already have hygiene issues then it might hide out in some bio-film. I would argue that if you already have cleanliness issues (not saying you actually do!) then something is going to bite you at some point anyway. Check the Milk the Funk wiki. They say there that it's eliminated by standard cleaning and sanitization. Read some of their work on brett and biofilms if you really want to stress out :)

If you already have good cleaning practices and you soak and rinse your lines as well then I would say keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. @balrog gives some good advice above, too. I don't bleach but I do periodically go a little nuts and just do a super deep clean and sanitization of everything. Swapping sani solution is not a bad idea, but just keep in mind that it doesn't solve any shortcomings with cleaning.

I suppose I could just brew farmhouse ales for life but… 🤔
I don't see a problem with this approach :mug:

This raises another question: Is there a risk of a STA-1 infection in a keg, beer line, tap, etc with a Saison? I’ve been so preoccupied with cleaning and sanitizing my fermenter that it hasn’t occurred to me that that could be an issue too. 😳

This raises another question: Is there a risk of a STA-1 infection in a keg, beer line, tap, etc with a Saison? I’ve been so preoccupied with cleaning and sanitizing my fermenter that it hasn’t occurred to me that that could be an issue too. 😳
Sure! There are live yeast in your keg so standard cleaning and sanitization rates apply. Everything cold side. You can put a sponge on every inch of the inside of those kegs, though

I would argue that lines and taps are much less imperative since the flow there should only be one direction. I.e. - whatever is in your line shouldn't be going backward into your keg. You still want it clean but I don't bother to go overboard with sanitization. I don't let it get dry and crusty and I do a good soak with PBW every 2-3 weeks. Then I just run through sanitizer, but I think that's mostly because it makes me feel better.

I soak everything in a chlorine bleach solution when I have doubts. Read the instructions, Clorox brand gives detailed info on mix ratio for various uses along with soak or contact times. Then rinse well and proceed with usual sanitation routine prior to use.

If you have or can rent an ozone generator, put everything disassembled into a plastic bag, tape the bag to the front of the generator and then run it overnight outside for safety. Does a great job sanitizing clean gear.

Back