Two Stage Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porternz

Reaction score
I have been advised to do a two stage fermentation with my latest brew which is in primary fermentation (2 Days) at present. I have a second fermenter ready but it is plastic will that be suitable for the second stage?
Cheers Dan.

I have been advised to do a two stage fermentation with my latest brew which is in primary fermentation (2 Days) at present. I have a second fermenter ready but it is plastic will that be suitable for the second stage?
Cheers Dan.

Yes. I have both a glass secondary and a better bottle. Some people say BetterBottles let air in, so I might think twice if I was going to bulk age a Barley Wine for nine moths, but I've had beer in a BetterBottle for several months that turned out fine.

Thanks very much for the advice. How long would you recomend leaving the brew in the second fermenter? Ive only ever done single stage brewing and normally bottle after a week or at 1008.

Thanks very much for the advice. How long would you recomend leaving the brew in the second fermenter? Ive only ever done single stage brewing and normally bottle after a week or at 1008.

Normally I go about 3-4 days primary, after major action is over... 2 weeks in secondary. Soon as the beer is clear in the secondary, you are ready to go.

Here's to your first two stage batch. :mug:

It's not a good idea to rack to secondary after 3-4 days, sorry. You should wait at least a few days after you see the fermentation stop. For me, with Wyeast 1056 and a beer around 1.050, the ferment usually wraps after 2-3 days, then I'd rack at 7 or 8 days in. But I don't even do that anymore. I think you're better off skipping secondary entirely and just leave it for 3 weeks then bottle.

But certainly don't rack at 3-4 days. Wait until 7-8 if you decide you WILL be using a secondary. After visible activity stops, the yeast start cleaning up after themselves and softening the flavor. In that 3 or so day period after fermentation is over, you want to leave them alone to clean up the beer.

It's not a good idea to rack to secondary after 3-4 days, sorry. You should wait at least a few days after you see the fermentation stop. For me, with Wyeast 1056 and a beer around 1.050, the ferment usually wraps after 2-3 days, then I'd rack at 7 or 8 days in. But I don't even do that anymore. I think you're better off skipping secondary entirely and just leave it for 3 weeks then bottle.

But certainly don't rack at 3-4 days. Wait until 7-8 if you decide you WILL be using a secondary. After visible activity stops, the yeast start cleaning up after themselves and softening the flavor. In that 3 or so day period after fermentation is over, you want to leave them alone to clean up the beer.

I agree with Matt about 3-4 days being waaay too soon...but like I showed in the posts I linked to there is a great deal of debate as to when...I advocate waiting til the 14th day and racking to secondary for another 2 weeks...if I secondary at all.

The problem with you people from NZ is that you post your questions while most of us are asleep, and you can't go by the one person who may be up to answer to give you the WHOLE story. :D

I just wanted to add, since I'd told you I have a plastic secondary, it is very seldom that I use one. I've only used it twice, once to bulk age a very hot and dry Belgian, and once to let a cream ale clear from grain husks that were crushed so fine the steeping bag wouldn't hold them without a lot of spillage when I was doing extract beers. I've left beer on the yeast cake for 5-6 weeks with no ill effects. As a matter of fact my last beer, another type of cream ale, staid on the cake for six weeks and when I tasted it at bottling time uncarbonated I can say with near certainty it will be my best beer yet. It tasted just like the beer I was trying to clone. Really a secondary is only needed if you're bulk aging, clearing, adding fruit, lacto, or dry hopping, unless of course your talking about wine making. In all the beer cases though your fermentation is over and you wait several days for the yeast to clean up before racking. There is a method which has fallen out of favor where you rack 3/4 of the way to your final gravity, but it doesn't make sense to me and it seems most others.

I just wanted to add, since I'd told you I have a plastic secondary, it is very seldom that I use one. I've only used it twice, once to bulk age a very hot and dry Belgian, and once to let a cream ale clear from grain husks that were crushed so fine the steeping bag wouldn't hold them without a lot of spillage when I was doing extract beers. I've left beer on the yeast cake for 5-6 weeks with no ill effects. As a matter of fact my last beer, another type of cream ale, staid on the cake for six weeks and when I tasted it at bottling time uncarbonated I can say with near certainty it will be my best beer yet. It tasted just like the beer I was trying to clone. Really a secondary is only needed if you're bulk aging, clearing, adding fruit, lacto, or dry hopping, unless of course your talking about wine making. In all the beer cases though your fermentation is over and you wait several days for the yeast to clean up before racking. There is a method which has fallen out of favor where you rack 3/4 of the way to your final gravity, but it doesn't make sense to me and it seems most others.

But I will say your fear of secondarying in plastic is waaay unfounded. It's one of those "brewing boogeymen" most liekly perpetuated by the glass industry to keep people from using plastic. Most of the brewing plastic we use is JUST as fine for our needs, even secondarying the beer for a few weeks, and even perhaps, months...But for a normal couple weeks in secondary, there is NO problem with using a better bottle to secondary in.

Thanks very much team. beaut info on the time factor.... I reckon i might leave this one to sit in the primary fermentor for another two weeks and see how i get on, and give the secondery gig a go with the next one.

Thanks again.
Dan

On my last two brews I waited until AT LEAST 14 days in the primary. I look at what the date will be 14 days after brewing, and then just rack to secondary whenever I have free time after that.

While I'll probably be struck by lightning for not completely agreeing with Revvy, I have to say that I don't believe that racking your beer into secondary after 3 or 4 days is detrimental in most cases. There are benefits to getting your beer off the trub, and there is plenty of suspended yeast to clean up any off flavors in a secondary. One advantage (IMHO) being there is less chance of vegetal flavors from the beer sitting on hop particles for extended periods. There are a number of successful pro brewers that strongly advocate getting your beer off the trub before fermentation is completely done. IIRC one example is Lagunitas and I believe Deschutes as well. Of course they have to maintain a quick turnaround, but it is obviously not hurting their beers to get them off the trub early.

That isn't saying that it is a bad thing to only do a primary. I have done it successfully several times, but for most styles I like to rack early to secondary. Obviously, a lot of people are very happy with their beers using the primary only method.

I have to say that I don't believe that racking your beer into secondary after 3 or 4 days is detrimental in most cases. There are benefits to getting your beer off the trub, and there is plenty of suspended yeast to clean up any off flavors in a secondary. One advantage (IMHO) being there is less chance of vegetal flavors from the beer sitting on hop particles for extended periods.

This is a good point, about the trub. This is my own opinion guys, but I worry about the yeast dying off when naturally carbing.

Now that I force carb, I always go to secondary one day or so after the initial action stops, then let it sit in the secondary until I feel it is cleared up well. That's just me.

Back