Sour Beer Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellardoor

Reaction score
In November I bought the ingredients to brew a Flemish red including the yeast WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix. I read in this months BYO issue that Wyeast Roselare blend is available starting in April. I know Roselare yeast is highly regarded as a wonderful yeast. My question is what are the major differences between th White Labs yeast I have and the Roselare? Would holding off brewing my sour ale and waiting to brew with Roselare be worth it?

Thanks

I would brew now with what you have and brew again in april with the Roselare.
But then again I'd be happy brewing just sometime between now and April.

Check the wild brews book and see what it suggests. There are different types of sour ales so it depends on what your going for. 655 has brett, pediocaucus, lactobacillus, as well as some sacharomyces. To me 655 seems best suited to a lambic.

If I remember correctly its the lactobacillus and pediocaucus that provide the sour. Brett is known more for its wonderful barnyard and horseblanket flavor. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Need to go back and read that book again. And to think, I just made a lambic.

Check the wild brews book and see what it suggests. There are different types of sour ales so it depends on what your going for. 655 has brett, pediocaucus, lactobacillus, as well as some sacharomyces. To me 655 seems best suited to a lambic.

If I remember correctly its the lactobacillus and pediocaucus that provide the sour. Brett is known more for its wonderful barnyard and horseblanket flavor. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Need to go back and read that book again. And to think, I just made a lambic.

They all pretty much have the same bugs in them, just different ratios. Brian from Wyeast says that the Roselare blend and their Lambic blend are the same except for the ratios. I'm sure the White Labs will be different, but its worth trying.

WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix 1
A unique blend perfect for Belgian style beers. Includes Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus.

Wyeast lambic blend:
Contains a selection of Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces including Belgian-style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and lactic acid bacteria.

Neither one says which brett they have in them. The Wyeast has a wheat yeast and a sherry yeast in it, I think the White labs just has a neutral ale yeast

They all pretty much have the same bugs in them, just different ratios. Brian from Wyeast says that the Roselare blend and their Lambic blend are the same except for the ratios. I'm sure the White Labs will be different, but its worth trying.

WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix 1
A unique blend perfect for Belgian style beers. Includes Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus.

Wyeast lambic blend:
Contains a selection of Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces including Belgian-style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and lactic acid bacteria.

Neither one says which brett they have in them. The Wyeast has a wheat yeast and a sherry yeast in it, I think the White labs just has a neutral ale yeast

Unless you go with one of the isolated strains, like WLP675 (Malolactic) or WLP677 (Lactobacillus).

True enough. Guess I forgot what a Flanders red was.

The wild brews book has WYEAST 3763 (Roselare Blend) for its flanders red, but I imagine the WLP655 would be just as good.

Good luck!

Back