Max amount of time in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppersailor

Reaction score
OK, I was unexpectedly called out of town for over a month. The day before I was told to leave, I brewed a porter. My question is: Has it been sitting too long in the primary? Should I even try to bottle it or scrap it and start frnm scratch? Brewed and placed in the primary 24 Feb 08 (I know, a really long time but I was out of the country!!!!!!). Can someone help with a verdict?

There's only one way to find out. Drink it!

I think it'd be mad to throw it away without testing it first. My guess is it'll be fine. :mug:

I've done 6 weeks without a problem. After that you might be starting to push your luck, but pull out a sample and give it the smell and taste test. Chances are it's fine!

Perhaps keep it at the lower range the yeast would allow and you could possibly keep it in the fermenter for longer? Never tried it myself, but it sort of make sense.

I once let a nut brown sit in the primary for over two months and I count it among the best beers I have ever brewed. Mind you, one month was at ferment temps, and then I crash cooled it to keg it but life got in the way AGAIN so it sat for another five weeks at fridge temp.

I'll tell you, it did not last long after I kegged and force carbed it. In fact I have tried to recreate it but have not been able to just yet...

Wouldnt that kinda be like a secondary if you leave it that long? Cuz wouldnt everything settle down to the bottom giving it more time to clarify?

Ya, as others have said I think that a month is primary is pretty damn close to optimum and that a lot of people rack their beers too soon.

Back