Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 112363

View attachment 112362
Here's Cooper. He's an 83-pound Pitbull. He's a real sweetie. Loves to clean my pint glass!

Very similar face shape to my dog, who's a mix. Because he's black though a lot of people say he looks mostly like a lab...but then some people are quick to ask if he's mixed with Pit. Good darned dog, whatever he is. Oh, I also love pits and pit-mixes. Have been some of the best dogs I know.

A few more. He's a master begger, as you can see. He also makes sure to wake me up when it's time for breakfast and going outside.

trooper9.jpg

trooper10.jpg

trooper8.jpg

trooper7.jpg

This is our baby Frankie. We found her wandering the woods when she was barely old enough to walk. She's around 60 lbs now, and is the sweetest, most protective dog I've ever had.
e98edb29.jpg

Got any more pics of her? She's a beaut!

Here's a few more of Ozzy. Some SAR training, some adventures, some just chilling on the deck after a long search.

IMG_20130527_150012.jpg

20130527_142309.jpg

20130527_141928.jpg

20130527_135353_Ingrid_Hagrid.jpg

20130527_141238_Ingrid_Hagrid.jpg

Screenshot_2013-06-07-14-10-02-1.png

here's a video of Trooper doing tricks, for a piece of romaine lettuce. He loves the stuff, among just about everything else, too.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cJyKY7QKtgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And one more pic where you can start to make out the "terrier" in his smile.

trooper11.jpg

Pound rescues make some of the best dogs on the planet. Seems like they know you saved their bacon so they go the extra mile to be a member of the family. All of my dogs have been pound saves and ASPCA dogs from broken homes. This will be my first non-pound save, but she is still a save because if the foundation didn't find her a situation she would have been destroyed too. My new daughter will arrive home tomorrow sometime after lunch and Pics will be forthcoming immediately. The whole happy Family. Me, Momma, the chair, her sister and her. Kind of a family portrait. Wish me luck tomorrow..
Wheelchair Bob

Public service announcement, just because you are using a flea/tick preventative doesn't mean you won't have them. Check your dogs after every outing. We don't have many ticks up here and Ozzy is on advantix, but I found this on him today.

20130607_174032.jpg

20130607_175135-1-1.jpg

here's a video of Trooper doing tricks, for a piece of romaine lettuce. He loves the stuff, among just about everything else, too.

One of my shepherds loves romaine lettuce too. Its the weirdest thing.

tre9er said:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cJyKY7QKtgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See my avatar; that smile is the best!

tre9er said:
Here's ours. His name is "Trooper" named by my sons, who were 2 and 6 at the time we got him (5 years ago). He's a rescue from the pound, lab and ??? (pit?) mix. Best dog I've ever had and I've had a lot growing up. Loyal, obedient, protective. I can look at him a certain way and he knows to get out of the room, or make a sound in a certain tone and he will come or go, sit, etc. Just a real loyal dog.

We picked up a puppy from the ASPCA about a month ago that looks a lot like Trooper. The vet told us she was mostly lab with a little boxer, but I think there's some pit in there as well. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

One of my shepherds loves romaine lettuce too. Its the weirdest thing.

Our boy KB used to go insane for broccoli. We had a house rabbit that would get veggies and if she got broccoli he had to have a big chunk of it himself. He also gives me his undivided attention if I'm slicing bell peppers so I have to toss him a bite now and then.

btw... if anyone has a dog having dry skin issues like KB used to have... try fish oil. Not the stuff in the pump from the pet store. We get the big bottle of fish oil softgels from CostCo and give him one in the morning and one in the evening. He never scratches now, his skin isn't flaky and his coat is amazingly glossy! He loves 'em too. He knows he gets one after his meal and won't leave us alone if we forget!

Anthropomorphize, what you do when you have to remove a tick from your dog's balls. My poor boy.

Seems fine now.

In the middle of a heat wave I thought I'd put ice is my dog's water. He was completely confused and picked each ice cube out, dripped it on the floor, sniffed at them and then looked at me like "What the hell did you do to my water?!? It's hardening up!!"

We did find ice cream for dogs once and got him some of that and he loved it. It was peanut butter flavored and comes in little cups. We took the first one out of the cup and put it on a dish but he just picked it up and swallowed it. So after that, one of us would hold the cup for him and he'd lick it out.

This is the fish oil I get for KB:

350-926628-847__1.jpg

The first time we have them to him he spit it out so I had to puncture one with the tip of a steak knife so he could taste what was inside. After that, we were able to just give it to him and he would pop it in his mouth himself.

I can't see getting them any other way myself. Dogs & cats both. All of mine have always been rescues or from shelters or foster groups or the like.

3 I have had with the BigHair have all been rescues

Priscilla
IMG_0589.jpg

Goombah
012.JPG copy.jpg

& the Howdy
IMG_0978.jpg

Considering there's rescue groups for every breed, plus you can go right on Petfinder.com and search by breed, there's no reason to buy dogs from puppy mills even if you're wanting a specific kind of dog. There's dogs of every breed that are waiting to be adopted.

image-2136169317.jpg

Weekly beer run. For some reason they all pile up front of a 5 seater SUV :confused: schotzie, the big one came off a farm at 6 months old full of ticks and mange never been inside and her mother provided her meals. Rabbits and squirrels didn't last long in our yard in her hey day. Now she's old fat and $10000 dollar back legs loves to bake herself in the sun this time of year

ChshreCat said:
Considering there's rescue groups for every breed, plus you can go right on Petfinder.com and search by breed, there's no reason to buy dogs from puppy mills even if you're wanting a specific kind of dog. There's dogs of every breed that are waiting to be adopted.

Well said and I totally agree. Besides, half the fun of not seeking out a specific breed is sometimes you end up with one of these.......

image-1474104240.jpg

image-996100164.jpg

FastAndy said:
Well said and I totally agree. Besides, half the fun of not seeking out a specific breed is sometimes you end up with one of these.......

As someone with a funny looking dog, that is one funny looking dog!

While I support rescue shelters and wouldn't be opposed to getting a dog from one, I have some major issues with this post.

First off, just because a dog doesn't come from a shelter, doesn't mean it comes from a puppy mill. There are such things as responsible breeders that care about the dogs - even after they've gone to their new homes. The guy across the hall from me at work used to be one - he had such a strong reputation in his particular breed's world (Brittany Spaniels) that he usually had a year plus waiting list for pups. He used to go as far as requiring interviews with prospective buyers, and when they came to the top of the list, he would match them to a puppy's personality to make sure it was a good fit. Towards the end of his breeding career, he stopped doing that, but would still assist with selection. He had two pups that I know of develop medical issues (diabetes and epilepsy), and the owners wished to part with the dog. He refunded 100% of their money, and found a new home for the dogs. These types of breeders - the good ones, not the puppy mills - research the genealogy of a breeding pair to make sure there's not genetic issues, will often have the mother checked for hip and eye problems before breeding to make sure the puppies won't be genetically predisposed to problems.

And the second problem I have is the statement, "there's no reason to buy dogs from puppy mills even if you're wanting a specific kind of dog. There's dogs of every breed that are waiting to be adopted."

Wrong again. Granted, if you're just looking for a companion dog, you're right. But if you're looking for a working dog, there are legitimate reasons for buying from a breeder (again, note the distinction: BREEDER, not puppy mill). First being bloodlines. Dogs of one bloodline will typically have a specific overall temperament and drive. (for instance, my coworkers dogs were of the Maverick bloodline, known for being very social, family dogs that would hunt through a brick wall if they thought a bird was on the other side) Secondly, is training. I know guys -- die-hard hunters -- that refuse to let anyone else train their dogs. They want to be the 'alpha male' to their dogs starting the day the pup leaves his mother - and I tend to agree that the first month or two a pup is away from mom is some of the most valuable bonding time.

NOW, am I saying rescue dogs are bad? Nope, not at all. But to say there's no reason to get a dog anywhere but a rescue is ignorant, and to group all breeders in with puppy mills is offensive.

While I support rescue shelters and wouldn't be opposed to getting a dog from one, I have some major issues with this post.

First off, just because a dog doesn't come from a shelter, doesn't mean it comes from a puppy mill. There are such things as responsible breeders that care about the dogs - even after they've gone to their new homes. The guy across the hall from me at work used to be one - he had such a strong reputation in his particular breed's world (Brittany Spaniels) that he usually had a year plus waiting list for pups. He used to go as far as requiring interviews with prospective buyers, and when they came to the top of the list, he would match them to a puppy's personality to make sure it was a good fit. Towards the end of his breeding career, he stopped doing that, but would still assist with selection. He had two pups that I know of develop medical issues (diabetes and epilepsy), and the owners wished to part with the dog. He refunded 100% of their money, and found a new home for the dogs. These types of breeders - the good ones, not the puppy mills - research the genealogy of a breeding pair to make sure there's not genetic issues, will often have the mother checked for hip and eye problems before breeding to make sure the puppies won't be genetically predisposed to problems.

And the second problem I have is the statement, "there's no reason to buy dogs from puppy mills even if you're wanting a specific kind of dog. There's dogs of every breed that are waiting to be adopted."

Wrong again. Granted, if you're just looking for a companion dog, you're right. But if you're looking for a working dog, there are legitimate reasons for buying from a breeder (again, note the distinction: BREEDER, not puppy mill). First being bloodlines. Dogs of one bloodline will typically have a specific overall temperament and drive. (for instance, my coworkers dogs were of the Maverick bloodline, known for being very social, family dogs that would hunt through a brick wall if they thought a bird was on the other side) Secondly, is training. I know guys -- die-hard hunters -- that refuse to let anyone else train their dogs. They want to be the 'alpha male' to their dogs starting the day the pup leaves his mother - and I tend to agree that the first month or two a pup is away from mom is some of the most valuable bonding time.

NOW, am I saying rescue dogs are bad? Nope, not at all. But to say there's no reason to get a dog anywhere but a rescue is ignorant, and to group all breeders in with puppy mills is offensive.

Well said...

My next lab is going to come from a small kennel in Montana where we've always got our bird dogs. My dog is 11 and she's still a machine, even after five surgeries and a chemo stint.

image-3327466689.jpg

Not going to turn this into a debate forum so I'll just post a quick reply with my point of view and then I'm done.

There are so many dogs that need homes that are put to death today, there is no such thing as a "responsible breeder". We don't need to be intentionally breeding more dogs.

And most people I've seen that buy dogs specifically for hunting treat them like crap. They're possessions and nothing more.

Done and movin' on.

Well the adoption is done. And our Service Dog is home and making the adjustment to her new situation. The Kennels and I were very pleased with the initial meeting and her interest in me and my chair. So one more well placed Service Animal and one less destroyed animal for lack of a loving home. as I originally said she is a PTSD training program failure to complete , who was either going to be placed as a "service dog/pet" or be destroyed since she could not be issued to a Veteran with PTSD. So I win, the dog wins, the kennel wins and Life is good!!!! Heres a couple of pictures of her getting used to the new house and getting some attention. Enjoy!!!

Laying with her daddy.jpg

DSC00330.jpg

Rbeckett said:
Well the adoption is done. And our Service Dog is home and making the adjustment to her new situation. The Kennels and I were very pleased with the initial meeting and her interest in me and my chair. So one more well placed Service Animal and one less destroyed animal for lack of a loving home. as I originally said she is a PTSD training program failure to complete , who was either going to be placed as a "service dog/pet" or be destroyed since she could not be issued to a Veteran with PTSD. So I win, the dog wins, the kennel wins and Life is good!!!! Heres a couple of pictures of her getting used to the new house and getting some attention. Enjoy!!!

Great to hear. Win-win everywhere

ChshreCat said:
Not going to turn this into a debate forum so I'll just post a quick reply with my point of view and then I'm done.

There are so many dogs that need homes that are put to death today, there is no such thing as a "responsible breeder". We don't need to be intentionally breeding more dogs.

And most people I've seen that buy dogs specifically for hunting treat them like crap. They're possessions and nothing more.

Done and movin' on.

Hit and run! I think we should start a doggy abortion clinic. On your dime of course

Awesome. I'm willing to bet she'll do a lot better with you since you'll be able to give her a sense of purpose and someone she can be with all the time.

I'm not saying breeders are wrong and no one should ever get a puppy from one. you want a purebred with papers, there's no other way to get one. might cost a little (or a lot) more, but if you got the resources, power to ya.

I just think it's awesome that someone goes the extra distance and takes the extra time to go to a rescue or a pound or the local shelter and saves a puppy that wouldn't have any other chance to survive

Latest posts

Back