Pair of saisons - recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
im going with a pair of half batch saisons this weekend to try to deal with this heat, plus ive never done one. both are going to be kinda hoppy to use up some leftovers. one is going to be a hoppy rye saison and the other is basically 1.5x Bam Biere

Saison #1 (3gal batch)
OG: 1.06ish, IBUs: 35ish
75% Pils
20% Rye malt
5% sugar
1.25oz spalt select @FWH
0.75oz @10
1.25oz @0
Wyeast 3711
mash @148, boil 90mins, pitch @68 and let rise

Saison #2 (3gal batch)
OG: 1.055ish, IBUs: 25ish
77% Pils
9% White wheat
6% Acidulate malt
6% Flaked barley
3% honey malt
0.25oz cascade @FWH
0.75oz @30
0.5oz @0
0.5oz @dry hop
starter from dregs of ES Bam (I realize this will be more sour, but I want that)
mash @150, boil 90mins, pitch @68F and let rise, age on 0.3oz oak for 2 months

let me know if you have any suggestions

Looks great, I think I've heard from Jason Yester(Saison Man)from Trinity brewery you dont really want to go more than 4% on the acidulated malt for a saison. i guess if want it sour it would be ok though.

Looks great, I think I've heard from Jason Yester(Saison Man)from Trinity brewery you dont really want to go more than 4% on the acidulated malt for a saison. i guess if want it sour it would be ok though.

That was a great interview on the Sunday Session (if that's where you heard it). Definitely worth listening to if you're into/making saisons. I thought some of the yeast blending stuff was pretty good too.

Yeah that's where I heard it very awsome interview with an awsome brewer I agree its a must to listen to for someone into saisons

Back