Spelt Saison recipe look good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerInMyBungHole

Reaction score
Doing my first saison soon. Im a new all grain brewer with only a few batches under my belt.

3gal batch

4 Pils 64%
1.5 Spelt 24%
.5 Munich 8%
.25 Caramunich 4% (idea for this came from Belgian Saison in the Style of Saison Dupont Recipe )

Mash: 150f 90min

Boil: 90min

IBU: 25
FWH: .14g Saaz (2.8)
60min 10g tettnanger (4.7)
10min 7g Saaz
5min 7g Saaz

5min:
.25oz Bitter orange
.25oz Fresh Ginger
.25oz coriander

.5-1lbs candi sugar (depending on my initially OG) into fermenter just past peak krausen

I have a spelt Saison in champagne bottles now. Mine is just pils and 30% spelt. It’s an earthy flavour that is quite subtle. You may struggle to notice it with the hops, caramunich and spices.

This recipe looks at home with the 2008 BJCP saison description with the caramunich and amount of munich. It's not in line with Dupont at all which is 100% pilsner. If it's what you want in a beer then go for it but you're not going to crack open a beer that tastes like Dupont.

I agree with @Twinkeelfool you're probably not going to be able to point to spelt as a specific flavor component with everything else going on.

4 Pils 64%
1.5 Spelt 24%
.5 Munich 8%
.25 Caramunich 4% (idea for this came from Belgian Saison in the Style of Saison Dupont Recipe )

Mash: 150f 90min

Boil: 90min

IBU: 25
FWH: .14g Saaz (2.8)
60min 10g tettnanger (4.7)
10min 7g Saaz
5min 7g Saaz

5min:
.25oz Bitter orange
.25oz Fresh Ginger
.25oz coriander

.5-1lbs candi sugar (depending on my initially OG) into fermenter just past peak krausen

I don't see why this would not make a tasty brew, although it is always a bit hard to tell without knowing the exact picture you have in mind. I, for one, don't really have an idea what the Caramunich is there for, but yeah, if you like that malt, then why not?
More importantly, you've left out two key factors: yeast strain and original gravity. I enjoy my saisons at around 1.052, while some others prefer more "imperialized" versions. And with a yeast-driven beer like a saison, the yeast strain is much more important than the grain bill imho.

Although the taste of spelt is often described as "nutty", I find it to be very neutral in flavour. I think it would be very hard to tell a difference between a saison brewed with spelt and one brewed with wheat. But both are great additions to a saison, reducing the pilsner smalt sweetness a bit while aiding head retention. That said, as @mashpaddled pointed out, Dupont is 100% barley malt and the head is out of this world.

With regards to spices, I personally would back down a bit, especially on your first attempt: for me (I have limited sensory capabilities) it's often hard enough to distinguish flavours contributed by the yeast and hops. Throwing in three different spices at once might make a great beer, but it will be much harder for you to adjust the recipe to your liking in future iterations. It really depends on your preferences and your goal.

My spelt saison needs two glasses at pouring, it increases head by a lot. I do also carb mine fairly high which adds to a huge head, but yeah, as mentioned above it’ll boost head due to high protein content

Awesome, I appreciate the feedback. I'll take all that into consideration. Maybe brew it the first time without the spice to get a feel for what the base ingredients are like and then again with the spice. The yeast im using is BE-134.

Latest posts

Back