First mead questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar_dog_1

Reaction score
I just made my first mead. 19lbs honey and topped with spring water to 5 gallons. Og was supposd to be 1.135. Ended up at 1.150. Picked 1 pack of lalvin 72b as per instructions. Added 12g of yeast nutrient and used a paint stirrer on a drill to airate.

Today i checked and no airlock activity. I degassed and airated using paint stirer on a drill again. Added the "O" stuff. ( fermaid i think?) 4.25 g.

Still no airlock activity. I know mead is patience but i am concerned about the high og. Can anyone calm my nerves or give me some advice?

Thanks in advance!!

Wait at least 3 days before worrying. Good for you for making a five gal. batch for your first mead.

1.150 is pretty high for many yeasts. Certainly can be done but could take a bit for the yeast to get going. What yeast did you use and did you "start" it ahead of time?

If it does start, it could stall out somewhere along the process. (Depending upon the yeast used) Good idea using nutrients and aerating. Air lock activity is not always a good indication of how well your ferment is going. Consider getting a hydrometer if you do not have one and check after a few days, if it dropped you are on your way.

If no activity consider trying one or all of the following...
- Wait it out - Give it a week or so.
- Raise your temperature a few days.
- Add a 1/2 to a gallon of water to bring your OG down. (If you have room in your ferment container.)
- Start a high tolerant yeast like EC 1118 and pitch it on top of what you already have. (EC 1118 can go to 18%)

I just made my first mead. 19lbs honey and topped with spring water to 5 gallons. Og was supposd to be 1.135. Ended up at 1.150. Picked 1 pack of lalvin 72b as per instructions. Added 12g of yeast nutrient and used a paint stirrer on a drill to airate.

Today i checked and no airlock activity. I degassed and airated using paint stirer on a drill again. Added the "O" stuff. ( fermaid i think?) 4.25 g.

Still no airlock activity. I know mead is patience but i am concerned about the high og. Can anyone calm my nerves or give me some advice?

Thanks in advance!!

I can't offer any good news, I'm afraid. 1.150 OG will put your yeast into osmotic shock. 71B will not survive. And one pack of yeast in 5 gallons of high gravity must is nowhere near enough.

Here's a reference for a high gravity mead, but be aware that this is "experts only" territory -
https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Bigboy-pants-sack-mead/

But personally, I'd split that batch and dilute down to 1.130 or so.

Ok. So i will pull off enough to dilute to 1.130. I will use the extra in a 1 gallon jug. Pitch two more packs lalvin 71b and 1 pack in the small jug. Do i restart the nutrient additions?

No. The nutrients you added haven't been used up yet. I'd use a different yeast like K1V, since 1.130 is outside the range of 71B. Rehydrate in Go-Ferm if you can.

Ok some good news. The 71b finnaly has taken off. I havnt had time to split it and dilute it. But she has a constant bubble in the airlock! I boughr some k1v in case of stuck fermentation but i am going to let this ride.

Back