New to kombucha and continuous brewing. Does this look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rianna0213

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new to brewing kombucha and tried out a continuous system. I'm on day 3 now and everything smells fine and there is no mold on the top. It looks as though a new SCOBY is forming along the surface layer. Is it normal to have this many yeast strands floating around and attaching to the spigot? Sorry if the photo is not great.

kombucha.jpg

I am not an expert, but I have never seen Kombucha made in a jar with a spiggot. I know it happens but I have never seen it. I am guessing, (as a person who grows a lot of plants) that if there is something to hang on to in the container, it will.

That is a lot of stringy yeast, but fairly normal. I'm not sure exactly, but you need to balance the yeast and bacteria - what temperature are you using?

The problem I had with continuous brew with a spigot was that the spigot got clogged easily. Looks like that might be a problem with that much gunk.

Back