Emergency!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1978

Reaction score
Okay, so i was almost done putting the collar on my kegerator and while drilling the last screw in, I HIT THE F"ing coolant line!!!! Am i screwed, or is it possible to seal the hole??? HELP!

My buddy is on his 3rd kegerator. He made that mistake with the first two. Took him two tries and $300 but he learned his leason.

Sorry to hear that. That stinks.

I glued mine on with silicon adhesive. That really strong stuff that comes out of a caulk gun.

same here . It is very solid I hope I don't ever have to take it off. I would start looking on Craigslist as the repair will be way more than just getting another unless you know someone who recharges appliances.

Its kinda late, but you might have asked yourself why many of us have to put a collar on in the first place ?

So we dont have to drill into walls of the freezer. :)

why use a collar if you're just gonna screw anyway?

isn't the point of a collar to get around screwing?

My condolences, you have a nice paper weight.

You could use it as a cold box for fermentation. Freeze a milk jug full of water, and throw it in there with a carboy. Not exactly precise, but can help you take the edge off those hot days of summer and stay in good ale fermentation temp ranges.

I put the collar on the front of the mini fridge so i could fit another keg inside. This isn't a freezer, this collar sat vertical so it needed to be screwed into the fridge so it didn't fall off. I've already said fu@k it! I found a full size fridge on craigslist for $40 and will be converting it. Screw all this collar bull****, it's for the birds.

Just a note if you do plan on patching and recharging it like someone suggested. Even trace amounts of moisture that can get in a open line can cause major compressor issues.

Just a note if you do plan on patching and recharging it like someone suggested. Even trace amounts of moisture that can get in a open line can cause major compressor issues.

Trace amounts of moisture will freeze at the expansion joint and stop the gas from flowing. When it warms up, it thaws and starts all over again.

Latest posts

Back