Weird lager ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cugel

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just fermenting my 1st lager after 10 years of brewing.
It's a bohemian pils, OG was about 1.055 and is fermenting at 52oF in a corny submersed in an cold water bath in a cooler. I made a 2 liter starter and used yeast nutrient during the boil.

After two weeks the sample I just took had a SG of 1.038 and was still bubbling well... lots of CO2 bubbles in the test tube.

Is this ferment taking way too long? I worry that the bottom of the fermenter may be much cooler than the sample I took from near the top of the keg and may not be fermenting well. The water the keg is in has a temp of 42oF at the moment and it's roughly at that temp all day long... but does go occaionally to as warm as 50oF.

The sample I just took tasted good, not as sweet as I would have expected given that SG, but it was cool so that's probably to be expected.

Any insights would be appreciated. Am I worrying too much?

Thanks!

Thanks Ed.

I'll let the water warm to about 50oF then and see how she goes.

I was just thinking that the lager yeast should be in the bottom of the keg and that's where the temps are likely around 42F... some warming should do the trick.

Back