Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Side note, what's the concept behind the slow rolling start to fermentation ? (Ie starting at 60 degrees and slowly warming) are you accomplishing this with a fermentation band or heating pad?

Side note, what's the concept behind the slow rolling start to fermentation ? (Ie starting at 60 degrees and slowly warming) are you accomplishing this with a fermentation band or heating pad?

Well, I don't want it to ferment violently and have a whole bunch of blow-off, so I thought I'd just let it ramp up to about 70 degrees. I may throw a heating pad on it, just to help it get up to 70.

Well, I don't want it to ferment violently and have a whole bunch of blow-off, so I thought I'd just let it ramp up to about 70 degrees. I may throw a heating pad on it, just to help it get up to 70.

You're talking about using the original cider recipe, WITH the notty, right? I've fermented this baby at 4.75 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy and had 0 head space requirements previously. Never had a blowoff issue and I'm usually at 70 - 75 consistently.

You're experience is different there? Any ideas why?

You're talking about using the original cider recipe, WITH the notty, right? I've fermented this baby at 4.75 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy and had 0 head space requirements previously. Never had a blowoff issue and I'm usually at 70 - 75 consistently.

You're experience is different there? Any ideas why?

Just concerned that the champagne yeast might be different...and I'm doubling the sugar. :)

Just got to throwing this together over the weekend. Had my wife do it while we were also brewing a wet hop ipa. She still doesn't believe it's gong to be a cider because she sees me slave to brew a beer for 4+ hours all the time. Anyway after adding 2lbs of dextrose to the 5.25 gallons of apple juice I got a gravity reading of 1.049 a lot lower then the OP. I figure I'll be close to 1.000 when all is said and done. Fermentation didn't start until after I went to sleep and that was about 10hrs after yeast was pitched. There was active fermentation when I woke up. About 19hrs after yeast pitch. High Krausen, looks like the yeast is happy :D

I'm going start this up next week. Once it's done, bottled and carbonated to where I want do I have to stove top pasteurize or can I throw the bottles in the fridge to stop the carbonation and kill off the yeast? If I can how long do you think it'll last in the fridge?

Thanks

The fridge won't kill the yeast, but it'll make them mostly useless. My understanding is yeast are still minimally active at fridge temps so you should be fine for a while, but I wouldnt plan on it for long term storage.

The fridge won't kill the yeast, but it'll make them mostly useless. My understanding is yeast are still minimally active at fridge temps so you should be fine for a while, but I wouldnt plan on it for long term storage.

I have made this several times with Notty and fridge temps keep it under control for 2 months at least

"Sometimes Im right half of the time..."

I wonder how it'd be going on a year or more. I tasted a few bottles I made a year or so before tasting and the difference was like night and day, so I give mine at least 6-9 months before consuming en masse.
Probably fine in the fridge but stove top pasteurizing is easy enough I wouldn't take the risk for several months of storage.

Is there a reason for making up the syrup 24 hours before bottling? Also I noticed the next day the syrup already looked like the sugar was settling to the bottom. Won't this end up happening in my cider bottles?

I could only find 283mL (9.5oz) FAJC, they say "Makes 1.13L" (38oz). I don't know how that would translate to the 12oz ones in the recipe since they might be more concentrated. What do 12oz ones typically "Make"? How much they make is probably a good proxy for how much sugar/apple-ness they have.

So, if I put the Campden in last week and didn't get the time I thought I would to add the syrup and bottle it, should I put more Campden in a day before I bottle, or does that stuff residual?

So, if I put the Campden in last week and didn't get the time I thought I would to add the syrup and bottle it, should I put more Campden in a day before I bottle, or does that stuff residual?

No need to add more Campden! Once that step is done and you've waited 24 hours, you're good to bottle anytime.

In my last batch of this cider, I ended up not being able to add the syrup/bottle for about a week, and everything went very well. Good luck, enjoy!

Is there a reason for making up the syrup 24 hours before bottling? Also I noticed the next day the syrup already looked like the sugar was settling to the bottom. Won't this end up happening in my cider bottles?

I think you could make there syrup the day of as well. As for the crystals, that shouldn't happen when the syrup is more diluted in the finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I started this two weeks ago with 2.5 g AJ and 1 lb Corn sugar - s04 yeast dry and have fermented at 62 degrees since, still airlock movement and test reveal 1.003 taste is of flat Apple. I have allowed the temp to rise the last 8 hours and still have fermentation happening.

I would like to backsweeten this with 1/2 of the caramel syrup and 1.5 cans of AJ concentrate and bottle sparkling.

I won't have time to do this however for another two weeks, if I let this primary for a month and then backsweeten bottle and ST pasteurize I'll have a higher abv.. Already do! Should I add more to sweeten?

Or should I rack onto 2.5 campden tabs and leave it for 2 weeks and bottle still.

I started this two weeks ago with 2.5 g AJ and 1 lb Corn sugar - s04 yeast dry and have fermented at 62 degrees since, still airlock movement and test reveal 1.003 taste is of flat Apple. I have allowed the temp to rise the last 8 hours and still have fermentation happening.

I would like to backsweeten this with 1/2 of the caramel syrup and 1.5 cans of AJ concentrate and bottle sparkling.

I won't have time to do this however for another two weeks, if I let this primary for a month and then backsweeten bottle and ST pasteurize I'll have a higher abv.. Already do! Should I add more to sweeten?

Or should I rack onto 2.5 campden tabs and leave it for 2 weeks and bottle still.

S-04 is a beast. Some of your airlock activity (I wouldn't be surprised if all your airlock activity) is dissolved CO2 releasing as the temp warms up. This happens during the day too as the environment warms slightly. You can let it sit with a good airlock for a few more weeks if you need to without worrying about it. You can also use the Camden tablets. Completely up to you at this point.

So about a week to 10 days ago, I started 5 gallons of this stuff with twice the sugar and an OG of about 1.075 (average between two hydrometers that have been tested in plain water. One reads slightly "off" but not by much...) Anyway, my current gravity is approximately 0.97. Think it's done? I used champagne yeast to make sure the sugar would be fully converted. :) I personally think I'm ready to backsweeten and keg, but I'm going to let it go another day or two to be sure, then I'll cold-crash to make sure I get the yeast out of solution and compacted well before making the syrup and force-carbing in the keg.
Update: After I posted this, I went to the Brewer's Friend ABV calculator. It says that with my OG andFG that I have an ABV of almost 14% and an attenuation of about 144%. Is that possible??? Did I misplace the decimal point or something?

So about a week to 10 days ago, I started 5 gallons of this stuff with twice the sugar and an OG of about 1.075 (average between two hydrometers that have been tested in plain water. One reads slightly "off" but not by much...) Anyway, my current gravity is approximately 0.97. Think it's done? I used champagne yeast to make sure the sugar would be fully converted. :) I personally think I'm ready to backsweeten and keg, but I'm going to let it go another day or two to be sure, then I'll cold-crash to make sure I get the yeast out of solution and compacted well before making the syrup and force-carbing in the keg.
Update: After I posted this, I went to the Brewer's Friend ABV calculator. It says that with my OG andFG that I have an ABV of almost 14% and an attenuation of about 144%. Is that possible??? Did I misplace the decimal point or something?

It doesn't understand how to calculate attenuation based on alcohol weight. Check your final gravity reading though. 0.97 or 0.997? I think you are closer to 10.5%. You don't necessarily need champagne yeast to ensure full attenuation, even with those gravities. Most will do 12% with appropriate nutrients. Us-04 will break 14.5% from personal experience.

It doesn't understand how to calculate attenuation based on alcohol weight. Check your final gravity reading though. 0.97 or 0.997? I think you are closer to 10.5%. You don't necessarily need champagne yeast to ensure full attenuation, even with those gravities. Most will do 12% with appropriate nutrients. Us-04 will break 14.5% from personal experience.

Ah, you're probably right about it being .997. I wish they made hydrometers that were digital. ;) Kinda hard to interpret those readings sometimes. :mug:

Edit: I think next time, I may try to triple the sugar to 6 pounds, just for shiggles and gits. :) I'm going to donate 10 gallons to a science fiction convention in January and knowing how those folks like their alcohol, I want to "supercharge" this stuff. :)

I saw an ad for one recently (can't remember where though). I use a refractometer myself. You can calculate the final gravity adjusted for alcohol with a few different sites but I find Sean Terrill's site and spreadsheet to be the most accurate to actual hydrometer readings. I use a Brix only and convert but there are plenty of refractometers with sg for around $30

Just got to throwing this together over the weekend. Had my wife do it while we were also brewing a wet hop ipa. She still doesn't believe it's gong to be a cider because she sees me slave to brew a beer for 4+ hours all the time. Anyway after adding 2lbs of dextrose to the 5.25 gallons of apple juice I got a gravity reading of 1.049 a lot lower then the OP. I figure I'll be close to 1.000 when all is said and done. Fermentation didn't start until after I went to sleep and that was about 10hrs after yeast was pitched. There was active fermentation when I woke up. About 19hrs after yeast pitch. High Krausen, looks like the yeast is happy :D

So I'm a little over a week in and the krausen dropped last Friday( this was 6 days in). Took a gravity reading today and got 1.021. It doesn't look active anymore and its sitting at 71 degrees in my cellar. I guess I'll check again on Friday but has anyone had this nottingham yeast stop and then start up again?

So I'm a little over a week in and the krausen dropped last Friday( this was 6 days in). Took a gravity reading today and got 1.021. It doesn't look active anymore and its sitting at 71 degrees in my cellar. I guess I'll check again on Friday but has anyone had this nottingham yeast stop and then start up again?

So I'm a little over a week in and the krausen dropped last Friday( this was 6 days in). Took a gravity reading today and got 1.021( down from 1.049). It doesn't look active anymore and its sitting at 71 degrees in my cellar. I guess I'll check again on Friday but has anyone had this nottingham yeast stop and then start up again?

It's something with their update. If you post once you have to take a minute or two before it will let you again without the error message bit will post even with the error message though.

Notty may fall out of suspension, but if rousing and warming doesn't do it, the it's not going to happen. Try another yeast like the cask and barrel conditioning yeast if Notty doesn't finish up.

So I'm a little over a week in and the krausen dropped last Friday( this was 6 days in). Took a gravity reading today and got 1.021( down from 1.049). It doesn't look active anymore and its sitting at 71 degrees in my cellar. I guess I'll check again on Friday but has anyone had this nottingham yeast stop and then start up again?

You could try adding some yeast nutrient / energizer and swirl the carboy/bucket around a bit and see if that rouses your yeast. If not, you'll probably need to pitch some new yeast. Make sure you add nutrient for the yeast.

I just tossed this in the keg, I made the syrup, brought to a boil then simmered for about 5 minutes, it wasn't thick but it had a thicker consistency. I was worried that the syrup might not be mixed in well so I shook up the keg after a co2 purge. A few hours later I took a sample from the keg and a lot of the syrup poured out... any ideas? Did I make the syrup too thick?

I made this last saturday I think it was and got a OG of 1.062. I pitched the yeast and I checked it today and FG is already down to 1.012. Has anyone else had it finish so quickly?? I had my 1 gallon bottles in a water bath sitting around 68 degrees I know its a bit warm but thats all I got

Like to add it tastes great! A little dry which I was expecting so I don't think it will be too sweet once I add the caramel sauce which is good.

I made this last saturday I think it was and got a OG of 1.062. I pitched the yeast and I checked it today and FG is already down to 1.012. Has anyone else had it finish so quickly?? I had my 1 gallon bottles in a water bath sitting around 68 degrees I know its a bit warm but thats all I got

My OG was right around there. 1.064 I think. Mine finished quickly but I still let it sit for about two weeks or whatever the recipe called for. It actually finished at 1.000 by the time I back sweetened and bottled. As far as the temp I wouldn't worry. I let mine sit at 70- 72 degrees. Notty is fine at that temp.

Bottled this stuff this afternoon and my test soda bottle is already firm? should I open it and see what happens? I feel like there is no way this stuff is carbed already

You could try adding some yeast nutrient / energizer and swirl the carboy/bucket around a bit and see if that rouses your yeast. If not, you'll probably need to pitch some new yeast. Make sure you add nutrient for the yeast.

How much nutrient?

Question about the syrup. I personally don't care for the syrup in the recipe as it seems like the cinnamon is a bit over powering. I was just going to use the Smuckers Caramel topping syrup and a tsp of apple pie spice instead. Anyone have any mediocre results with store bought caramel or see a potential problem with this?

Does anyone know what the s.g. is at bottling time for this cider ?
i.e if you bottle when the s.g. hit 1.010-1.015 as suggested and add the caramel syrup & 3 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate.

Question about the syrup. I personally don't care for the syrup in the recipe as it seems like the cinnamon is a bit over powering. I was just going to use the Smuckers Caramel topping syrup and a tsp of apple pie spice instead. Anyone have any mediocre results with store bought caramel or see a potential problem with this?

FYI, cinnamon will fade a lot over time. If you aren't planning on drinking this all relatively quickly then I'd use the higher amount of cinnamon.

So--quick question. Just finished bottling a batch of this using the updated recipe on pg 42. I had some EC-1118 on hand so that is what I used during the fermentation process. I decided to stove top pasteurize. My question is--I know EC-1118 is a pretty potent yeast so, with my temp controller set at 71 deg.--what kind of time period am I looking at before I need to kill it off?? I am gone all day tomorrow and don't really want to come home to bottle bombs--so the answer will hopefully be more than 24hrs so I don't have to call out sick. I do have the mandatory soda bottle in there as well. Anyway--thanks for the help and have a good night.

Hmm... good question. Maybe a teaspoon? Maybe use yeast energizer instead? (they're very similar formulations, from what I understand, so they are nearly interchangeable.)

I added half a teaspoon per gallon and a pack of cask & bottle conditioning yeast. Its going again :)

Latest posts

Back