Barley Wine did not carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG680

Reaction score
I had a Barley Wine that dis not card after 3 months in the bottle. It was in primary for 1 month and 6 months in secondary. It is wonderful tasting and sweet with a great hop aroma and flavor, but no carbonation at all.

What would you great brewers do? Thanks. John

Did not add yeast, but looks like I should have. 3/4 oz priming sugar as I was looking for a mild carb. Is is 11% ABV. So a big beer. Can I just add yeast to the bottles. The BW is in 1 letter bottles. I am just worried about bottle bombs if I do add yeast with out knowing the right amount

Did not add yeast, but looks like I should have. 3/4 oz priming sugar as I was looking for a mild carb. Is is 11% ABV. So a big beer. Can I just add yeast to the bottles. The BW is in 1 letter bottles. I am just worried about bottle bombs if I do add yeast with out knowing the right amount

You could add a whole pack of yeast to one bottle and not get a bottle bomb, that is dictated by the amount of sugar.

You can add yeast right to the bottle, I have done it in the past using a cajun marinater and US-05 slurry from a batch of Pale Ale

You only need a few drops of slurry in each bottle

Sorry. I should have added it was only 3 gal. Due to a massive blow out when the blow tube clogged

That's still only like 1.3vols of CO2, it's not going to be very carbed when you're finished. Is there any "pop" when you open the bottles? Keep in mind as well that an 11% beer may just need more time to carb.

JMG, I had almost the exact same thing happen to me! I made a barleywine July a year ago, had a MASSIVE blowoff which left me with 3g (note: don't aerate with pure O2 when pitching onto a yeast cake!).

At Christmas, it had zero carbonation, yet still won first place in a local competition :confused:. I wanted the carbonation tho, so I emptied every bottle into a bucket, added a half packet of S-05, and re-bottled. It is now carbonated. Last time I had one (few months ago) I did not detect any affect from oxidation, but I think the barleywine would mask that anyway.

If you want to add yeast, I think the easiest way is to use dry yeast and add like one tiny pinch to each bottle. Less than a pinch, really- just a grain or two that you can see is enough. It was far less than 1/2 package when I did it.

JMG, I had almost the exact same thing happen to me! I made a barleywine July a year ago, had a MASSIVE blowoff which left me with 3g (note: don't aerate with pure O2 when pitching onto a yeast cake!).

At Christmas, it had zero carbonation, yet still won first place in a local competition :confused:. I wanted the carbonation tho, so I emptied every bottle into a bucket, added a half packet of S-05, and re-bottled. It is now carbonated. Last time I had one (few months ago) I did not detect any affect from oxidation, but I think the barleywine would mask that anyway.

Thanks, I may do this on Monday (my day off). Sounds like an easy way to make all the bottles the same.

Did you add any priming sugar or did you only add yeast? Thanks.

Thanks, I may do this on Monday (my day off). Sounds like an easy way to make all the bottles the same.

Did you add any priming sugar or did you only add yeast? Thanks.

Just the yeast.

I like yoops idea, but for a barleywine I would rehdyrate first, make a nice slurry, then an eyedropper. I wouldn't want to rehydrate the dry yeast in the bottles since it is 11%. When I did miine, I also boiled some hops to add to the bucket: I didn't like how sweet mine was.

Back