Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aomagman78

Reaction score
I did my first lager and I'm wondering if my temp/schedule is going to have negative effects.

Fermented at ~42-45 for 3 weeks
Edit: Diacetyl for 24hours at 72F
Secondary at 42-45 for 1.5 weeks
Bottled with priming sugar
Left at 75 for 2 days, then 63 for 1 week
Placed in fridge to lager at 42 (best I can do) for 1 month

I realize lagering after bottling probably isn't the best. I just moved it to the fridge at 42 and tasted it, definitely some sulfur in there. I know lagering is supposed to remove that (or I hope). Is this still going to turn out well (probably not great as far as lagers go). Thanks for input.

I did my first lager and I'm wondering if my temp/schedule is going to have negative effects.

Fermented at ~42-45 for 3 weeks
Secondary at 42-45 for 1.5 weeks
Bottled with priming sugar
Left at 75 for 2 days, then 63 for 1 week
Placed in fridge to lager at 42 (best I can do) for 1 month

I realize lagering after bottling probably isn't the best. I just moved it to the fridge at 42 and tasted it, definitely some sulfur in there. I know lagering is supposed to remove that (or I hope). Is this still going to turn out well (probably not great as far as lagers go). Thanks for input.

I don't bottle so I'm not 100% sure if you can lager before bottling.

I keg and do the lagering step after fermentation.
Lagering should be done at a temperature below 40F as close to freezing as possible.
I would skip the secondary and usually do a diacetyl rest during the last 25% of fermentation.

Looks like your schedule is about 8 weeks. After 8 weeks, it should taste pretty good. But I have had my beer get better the longer it sits. So don't dump it, give it some more time.

Back