Questins about Campden Tablets and Yeast Nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzAnnie

Reaction score
I am a greenhorn at winemaking. I make bread, so I understand the characteristics of yeast and sugar. My first batch of cactus/mulberry wine came out very good. I didn't use campden tablets or a yeast nutrient. Can I continue to make good wine without using them? I try to stay on the organic side of life, and I would rather not use something I am unfamiliar with. In laymens terms, can someone give me a better clue to what these ingredients are? I know what they do, I just try not to put too many chemicals in what I consume. Was my first batch a fluke? Thanks a bunch, I appreciate all the info I can get.

it depends on if the "base" for your brew has enough of what the yeast needs to multiply and do it's thing. It's just like...err... yeast fertilizer? I always toss in a tablespoon so I don't have a slow fermentation I have to add it to later. To my knowledge won't have any effect on the end product.

Campden tablets are a convenient form of metabisulfite. Fermentation causes sulfites naturally (so there aren't really any wines that are truly "sulfite free") but some winemakers add more for several reasons. One is that it sanitizes the must before fermentation, killing bacteria in the must to avoid a contamination from things like lactobacillus and pediococcus and wild yeast. That will ruin the wine.

After that, sulfites are sometimes added as an antioxidant and preservative to the wine. Sulfites bind with wine, so that oxygen can't. It dissipates, so it's usually added a couple of times during the course of a wine being racked and bottled.

Yeast nutrient is not necessary, if the ingredients in the wine have sufficient nutrients already in it.

Thank you so much for your replies. I like the er...yeast fertilizer. I thought that the sugar served as the 'scat' for the yeast. I'll have to watch for the slow fermentation. Mr. Yooper: When I first saw your picture, I thought you were my Uncle. He lives in Marquette. I had to do a double take...eh? Spent a few childhood summers up there. Thank you for the info on the campden tabs. Still don't like the fact that I can't spell metabisulfite and have to practice pronouncing it. My motto is if I can't spell it or pronounce it...I should not be injesting it. I try to be very hygienic when making wine, almost obsessive/compulsive, and I NEVER bake bread at the same time because I have set traps and made homemade yeast before. It FLOURISHES here in the deep south. Thank you both so much for your time, it is appreciated and it makes me look forward to having more questions. Annie

the red green picture throws off your girlyness, you need a pink heart or something like that yooper.

Sorry...ugh..M..Yooper, I am not really a Mz, either. That is what they call me here in Mississippi, even though I am a Yankee. When in Rome...eat, drink, and call everybody Mr. or Miss...:mug: Also, I want to thank all of you (in lieu of ya'll, my mother taught us the Kings English, eh...and some habits can not be broken) for the information on the yeast nutrient. I looked some up online and I could not believe that it contained urea. I am a Michigan farm girl, and I KNOW what that is!!! So my question to you is, does skeeter pee need a yeast nutrient??? :p Annie

I would think yes. Lemon juice is not a very hospitable enviornment for yeasties and you'll need to help em as much as you can. Plus the directions not only call for it but call for it in two different steps.

Yes,it is needed. The urea is there for the nitrogen and ammonia. If it makes you feel better,it's everywhere. In your water,ground,hair conditioner,soap,fire extinguishers,skin creams,etc. Also,it's made in factories/labs,not from pee xD

Latest posts

Back