Electrical Engineers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely love AutoCad...........I use it almost everyday. I use it for schematics and in conjunction with a PC board Router to make my prototype PC boards.

Wow, fritzing looks nice, I'm going to have to try that.

Answering the question, I use Express PCB because nothing I do is complex enough to need an autorouter.

I tried Eagle a few times but never used it enough to get my head around the UI, plus it had some annoying bugs.

I will be using windows xp, since that is what's on my work computer. I work for an electronics manufacturer, but i'm wanting something i can use to draw analog circuits.

I like Visio for schematics, although I usually find that I prefer my own template for certain sysmbols (relays, diodes, etc), although you could say that the included symbols are adequate.

I think Visio has a free 90-day trial period, so you can try it out and see if it works for you. It's much cheaper than AutoCAD, last time I checked prices. And it also allows you to write code for your application to customize the behavior of things, although that also involves more effort.

I can also vouch for ExpressPCB as a good bang-for-the-buck tool (free), especially if you might also be laying out a board.

If you mean schematics and not board layout then there are a number of schematic capture spice tools.
I think pspice is free these days. The tanner tools package is really cheap. I think there's even a dumbed down version of Cadence also.

If you just need basic schematic capture and spice simulation capability, Pspice is probably your best bet.

Back